Cold engine tick/slight knock.

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Our '98 Civic EX sedan with 90k has fresh 5W-30 in it at the right level. When we cold start it is kind of ticks and knocks slightly the first min. of running. Once warm it is quiet. Is this something to be concered about?

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
shortlid said:
Our '98 Civic EX sedan with 90k has fresh 5W-30 in it at the right level. When we cold start it is kind of ticks and knocks slightly the first min. of running. Once warm it is quiet. Is this something to be concered about?
you might need to do a valve adjustment. Whats the temperature there?

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How hard its it to do

defvayne said:
you might need to do a valve adjustment. Whats the temperature there?
Only in the 60's here in New Hampshire! How hard is the valave adjustment to do yourself?:?:

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
shortlid said:
Only in the 60's here in New Hampshire! How hard is the valave adjustment to do yourself?:?:
Im having the same exact problem. I found this page awhile back, check it out. Its a DIY Valve adjustment.

DIY Vavleadjustment

I havent tried it myself yet, but its on my list of things to do before winter hits.

Quebec_Civic

JDM? Is that A Brand?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you sure its not just ur injectors you here?... my old d16 did that all the time when it was cold ... youd here the injectors like crazy

watisjdm

Clit Commander
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah mine does the same but thats cause i need a valve adjustment..but goin 2 honda 2 get it done soon

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I have the same problem and need an adjustment as well.

Whats the difference between valve lash adjustment and just valve adjustment? I've heard a variety of names but is there truly a difference between any of them?