Cold start idle question on 95 civic ex

Vx2ko

This is my first Honda so I'm still learning everything about it. When I first start it in the morning, it idles high like it should, but as soon as I throw it in drive or reverse it bogs down. What's the usual warm up time for Hondas?

CivicxTree754

Registered VIP
Mine is roughly 3 -5 minutes...it idles high at 1500 then once warms drops like a dime to 600 ish

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
depends how cold it is i would think

RonJ

Banned
When I first start it in the morning, it idles high like it should, but as soon as I throw it in drive or reverse it bogs down.
That's not normal. It should not bog even when cold. How does it behave when the engine is warmed up? Any CEL codes?

Vx2ko

That's not normal. It should not bog even when cold. How does it behave when the engine is warmed up? Any CEL codes?
When the engine is at the proper temp, it seems to do fine. although it does seem to have a tiny flutter in rpms. it drives fine too. I can really feel it pick up around 3k rpm, then my vtec pops around 4800 - 5000rpm. I dont know what is normal and whats not for Hondas since this is my first one. Ive replace the ect sensor, iacv, cleaned the FITV, changed my oil, spark plugs and fuel filter. Combined, they all seem to help. I also put some new headers and intake on which seem to help a little bit. Only when its cold is when the car acts weird. I HAVE to let it warm up or else itll die when i throw it in drive. Could it be the timing? or the injectors?

RonJ

Banned
The FITV specifically functions to raise the idle speed of a cold engine. Remove the air intake system, start the cold engine, and check whether the hole inside the throttle body leading to the FITV pulls air when the engine is cold.