college

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks for all the advice.
i havent picked my courses yet, but i just signed up for general studies. thats all i want to do at community college, just get rid of the bullshit classes that i have to take. once i transfer to a 4-year college im going to major in business management and minor in personal training or fitness, whatever they call it.

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice.

just one more piece of advice. Don't slack on your gen eds. You'll hate yourself later on.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm going to tell you straight out - nobody can tell you what your college experience is going to be like. Everybody handles it differently and every college is different. Not only that, but every program within each college is very different. A philosophy major will have a HUGELY different college experience than a nursing major.

Use - www.ratemyprofessor.com. Don't pick professors that people say are shitheads. Yes, bad college professors do exist and you should avoid them like the swine flu. (see what I did there?)

Move out of your parents house! This is a hell of a damper on your experience. lol. Get out of there and enjoy life.
:word:

i couldn't agree more. as much as you like the subject a professor can make or break the course. overall you shouldn't have to worry too much about your major though.

Kswest

Failboat sails at 9
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice.

just one more piece of advice. Don't slack on your gen eds. You'll hate yourself later on.
/thread

I just graduated this quarter with my Bachelors of Science Applied Psychology: Counseling. You know what my last two quarters consisted of? 100 and 200 level classes that I f**ked around in when I was a freshman.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nice.

x2. One or 2 bad grades can really hurt you. Even towards the end when you are getting a degree. Start strong that way if you have a bad semester, you GPA can handle it and you won't get kicked out or put on probabtion.

Ian123

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
One more question about community college, am i going to have any chances to make new friends? Nearly all my friends now are leaving for a 4 year college...

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
The opportunities are there. I'd say there are probably more opportunities at a 4 year college, but you may be able to make some new friends at the community. Start up a study group in one of your classes... or look for a club to join.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
One more question about community college, am i going to have any chances to make new friends? Nearly all my friends now are leaving for a 4 year college...
well college is still school and in any school you'll meet new friends by introducing yourself in class. just introduce yourself or initiate a conversation with someone you're sitting next to or whatever. just remember that people are in the same boat as you are.

DarkCreep

D16Y8+T
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Nice.

I hate myself now. My first 2 years in college were a complete waste of time now that I think about it.

Tiso

Tello !
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I also suggest being smart with your GEC's as well. I have all of mine basically done and will be taking nothign but my Major classes and no real GPA boosters if I need them. Keep that in mind as well.

Also, if you want to get done faster...Take summer classes.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
as high school comes to an end, all i keep hearing is how hard college is and how hard im going to have to work next year. this is the same thing i was told going into middle school, and going into high school and it wasnt true either time so is it for real now? ive sailed through school up to this point with minimal effort and maintained honor roll my whole life. will college be different?
yes, College will be harder. That's what hs prepares us for. Seems like youra bright student though. I don't think you'll have a hard time as long as you apply yourself like you been doing. Don't forget that what ever you decided to study can also effect how hard it may seem. Good luck!

buzzbombtom

captin sleep0
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if your going to a C.C. take as many different "odd" classes as you can afford, if it was not for some dumb "personal devolopement" class i would never have had the out look on life that i do now, it taught me to no be afraid to take a chance and change majors. keep in mind that you should do what you love not what you think will get you teh most money. making friends at a C.C. can be a bit more difficult, well at least in my area it was due to the fact that most were GE classes and people still live at home. but once you get to a 4 year in most departments you end up in cohorts that become good study/f**k budies. really that is where you will make a lot of friends as most of those people are into the same thing as you. well at least in my college where my department holds only 175 students from first years to grad students, you pretty much know everyone.

C.C. is a place to slack, its easy and cheap enough to grow up there, dont be stupid and throw away money at a college that costs you 2.5k+ a semester here in cali its like 25$ pr so a unit.

dont forget to WITHDRAW out of a class rather than take the "F". a "W" looks way better trust me. so far you have gotten a lot of strong advice from kids who have not had a hard time it sounds like. i have struggeled with college from 2002, i have yet to take a semester off but i have paid for every unit and book i have taken. it will make you a better person in the end.

like i have always said, im going to graduate in 4 more classes and there is no way that in those 4 classes that i will become an anthropologist, but the life lessons that i have learned are greater than the education.

Jbuck2KCivic

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
college is a walk in the park, easy classes and easy grading professors so far