comp test results

clean02

5+ Year Member
i did a compression test on my 96 spec itr and my results were 160 across the board. to me that seems low. has been burning lots of oil lately(1.5-2 qts every 3000). did the test cold/warm and cranked it 7-10 times. from what i knew the numbers were supposed to be in the 200. any thoughts?

Vitaliy93

i did a compression test on my 96 spec itr and my results were 160 across the board. to me that seems low. has been burning lots of oil lately(1.5-2 qts every 3000). did the test cold/warm and cranked it 7-10 times. from what i knew the numbers were supposed to be in the 200. any thoughts?
was the engine fully warmed up, and wide open throttle while you were cranking it?

clean02

5+ Year Member
not fully warmed and not wide open throttle. looks like i did it wrong. anyway to test it now that the engine is out of the car lol?

Vitaliy93

not fully warmed and not wide open throttle. looks like i did it wrong. anyway to test it now that the engine is out of the car lol?
You can do a leakdown test which is fairly accurate. Just make sure the cylinder your testing is at TDC on compression stroke.

eg6white305

As long as all the individual cylinders are within 10% of each other its usually good, if its not warmed up it would read low.