compression check

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
hey, well when i last did compression test i turned the motor over bout 7 times? is this correct or how many times should it been turned over?? also what is standard number?

lonewolf

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Should be turned over twice for a good reading. Should be between 160-200psi, depends on engine and its condition. Hope that helps, I have a howto archived somewhere if you want I can post up a link.

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well cranking it over twice wont really help because the motor is A 4 stroke and would need to be cranked at least 4 times to get 2 compresion reading

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thanks, well i did what c-speedracing.com told me to do which differs a bit from what the book syas to do... but i cranked it over 5 times like speedracing said and i got as follows
CYL:
1: 185.5 PSI
2: 183 PSI
3: 179.5 PSI
4: 199 PSI

these are averages done i did the compression twice on each cylinder and took the average... can i still boost this motor?

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
slowhatch said:
does removing the 15a fuse cut the power to all honda engines? or just the b18?
says on the fuse box that the 15 amp is FI E/M my cel light came on when i pulled it lol

LatinEM2

La Raza #2
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It works on all Honda's...Alias are u doing a compression test with the car running???

sidewayzinCA

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont you need to take the spark plugs out to do a compression test...how could it be running?

slowhatch

torque?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea, or you can just take out the one then turn it over 5times then put it back in and take out another do it to that one etc. thats what i did a couple hours ago and got 1 - 170, 2 - 170, 3 - 175, 4 - 175

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
well no i didnt have the car running, i pulled all spark plugs and did the test by cranking the motor over 5 times with the starter...

gearbox

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i hope you also unplugged the injectors. and you know the throttle has to be fully open when cranking right?

AliasNeo

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i didnt unplug the injectors... if u disconnect the fuse, the injectors wont go... i did have WOT...

slowhatch

torque?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
gearbox said:
i hope you also unplugged the injectors. and you know the throttle has to be fully open when cranking right?
what would happen if you didnt have the throttle at wot?