Compression Results

thermalstorm

5+ Year Member
I recently did a compression test on my b16a motor, the results were, Cyl# 1=200psi, Cyl# 2=180psi and Cyl #3&4 were both 200, so i guess my second piston is leaking a bit, the way i did the test was removed all spark plugs, installed compression tester in Cyl# 1, put the gas to the floor and alowed the motor revole at least 6 times before the final result. Did i do this corrctly? If so what are my options of fixing the compresision in Cyl#2 or is 200 psi even the correct preasure
PS: I did the test when the motor was cold, and it was a dry test no oil in the cylinders or nothing.

SlowTEC

Initiate brain dump in...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Excerpt from http://www.youfixcars.com/engine-compression-test.html:

If you have several cylinders or even one cylinder with a low compression reading a wet compression test is then recommended. The procedure performed above is called a dry engine compression test.

A wet test is when you squirt a small amount of engine grade oil into the weak cylinders. Reinstall the compression gauge into that cylinder and then conduct the test the same way as above by cranking the engine at lease four revolutions. Documents the reading next to your dry compression reading that you recorded earlier.

If the reading increases more then 10 psi with the presence of oil in the cylinder the most likely cause of the original low compression reading was a poor piston ring sealing. This may be an indication that the rings are simply worn. And this would be highly likely on an engine with high miles.

Matt.

Banned
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I think you're fine, nothing to worry about, its not too far off

thermalstorm

5+ Year Member
I am suppose to have low Klm's on the motor, its suppose to be a fresh swap, but why would it only be 1 cylinder?

EM1FTW

5+ Year Member
it seems fine to me.
get someone to watch the gauge and see it it is even possible for #2 to build 200 psi in it.

i thought spec for usdm b16's was around 185.

andrewmrtnsn

5+ Year Member
ur fine.. i personaly dont recommend the wet test bc ur shooting oil into ur gauge.. not good IMO but hey, to each their own