Computer Died

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
So....after 5 years of heavy use....my college laptop had a HDD Hard error at 1:27am. Luckily i have my netbook to keep me connected when i dont wanna use the X. butttttttt this computer needs to be replaced but on a bit of a budget. i turn to my cc brethren to help. i mainly surf, get torrents (all scanned) for shows and music, and then do a bit of photo editing. Since i have the netbook i was thinking desktop for the extra ram, hdd space and upgradeability. currently have a keyboard and mouse and 24" monitor...so really i just need the box. i know nothing about the processors or video cards. I kinda figured around 8 gig of ram....thinking towards the future. HELP ME GUYS!!....oh and sub $800 would be great lol if thats doable

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is the laptop completely shot or just the HDD error? Why not just replace the HDD. Would only be around $100. I just replaced one in one of our work laptops and it was ~$70 for a 500gb.

If you are content on buying a new PC box, $800 is definitely doable. We have done all dell laptops and PCs for work. They have a great finance program and you can build your own computer so to speak. ALL of them have been under a $1000 and the oldest ones that are still running are over 6 years old. Only one we had a problem with was one of the laptops that had a HDD failure. New HDD and it is up and running again like new.

Mad-Mike

5+ Year Member
Check out tigerdirect.com or newegg.com for parts. Both sites have great prices.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
oh yea.....its def shot. the screen on the laptop has hinges that snapped about a year ago and thats why its been a desktop. Its gotta go. It only has 1 gig of ram. a 1.6 ghz processor and the HD was 60 gigs....my netbook is better than that lol.

Akiahara96

back!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
newegg.com, ftw.

if you only need the machine itself and no monitors or anything... you'll have no problem keeping it economical. doesn't sound like you need anything crazy, either. =)

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I see, well then my dell suggestion still stands.

You can definitely build yourself a decent comp there for $800, especially by taking out the monitor and accessories

I third newegg for computer stuff if you don't go with dell.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Build your own computer or get someone to piece one for you. If you don't game, that will save you a good amount of money.

Just for web surfing, photo editing, music/video/storage, I would say you're looking to spend 3-400 on a tower. You could probably use the onboard video card :P.

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Thanks john. I was lookin at an Acer thats got just an intel VC...does it need to be anything higher? my camera shoots 1080 and my pics are 15.4mp

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You douche, why the hell didn't you talk to me?

AutoFanatik

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You aint been on aim cept for ur mobile...i was lookin for ya last night and today. dont get pissy with me boy ill smack the green right outta ya lol