Computer Speaker setup

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just wondering what everyone uses and how you're satisfied with it.

I have owned a Harmon Kardon HK395 since it came with my original Dell desktop, I've had them for over 10 years and they still work. It's a 2.1 Stereo system with a small sub box. The sub got kind of distorted at over like half way on the bass control and at high volumes. I listen to a lot of techno and electric music with a lot of bass so it probably wouldn't be noticeable for other music.

So anyways I was kind of looking for an upgrade and looked around at some of the newer systems available from places like best buy and was generally disappointed with the outputs of most of the systems. Low wattage not much bass. There were a couple with huge subwoofers but they were pretty expensive or came with features I just didn't want.

So I went and got some old components from my dad's old old stereo Using a Technics SU-V95 stereo amplifier (rated at 350W) and two Technics SB-2665 Loudspeakers rated at 200W a piece.

Using a Stereo mini to RCA adaptor you plug one end into the stereo out on the back of the PC(almost all PCs have it its usually green in color) and I plugged the other end into a stereo equalizer which is below the amp in the photo. that then goes into the amp and then out to both speakers.

the tweeter and mid are damaged as u can see in the photo.

I tested it out on this song

[YOUTUBE="DJ Fresh - Louder (Doctor P & Flux Pavilion Remix)"]Sgxyio8D_do[/YOUTUBE]

Needless to say my ribs were vibrating. If you have neighbors you dislike I would recommend listening to this song very loud if you happen to have a decent sub yourself.

Anyways I think for awhile I might be satisfied. I might see about getting a better amp and speakers since I got these for free and they're probably 30 years old. There was a vinyl player and tape components in the set these came from.

But I'm curious what everyone else has. unless you're all using smart phones and don't own computers anymore

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Logitech X-540:

It actually sounds really good. I've had it for 2-3 years and it still works just like new. I keep my headset plugged in (for Counter-Strike) so the front L&R speakers are never on. It's just the mid and rear that I use for sound lol.

Abailey21

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I run a Kenwood bookshelf system

it's better than any computer speakers, and more than enough for my little office

itsmycookie

#1 a*****e
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cool i live in a basement apartment that basically has no walls in it from one end to the other so it doesn't hurt to a be a little loud. plus concrete floors so there's no real rattling or anything

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well its nice to see u came out of the closet and have moved into the basement now...

Gonna be tough to bedazzle concrete walls though...

Sent from my Butthole using Fart power!

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I'm primarily on my laptop for most of my computing... so I use the built in speakers, but when I game on my PC, I use my TV as a monitor - So I just use the built in speakers on the TV. It's simulated surround sound, so it's fine for most purposes. When I'm really concerned about getting good sound quality / being immersed in a game, I have a pair of turtle beach dx11 headphones that I put on.