Computer techs I need your help.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, I just finished building my HTPC and ripped all of my Dvds, Tv shows, and blu-ray onto a 2GB hard drive.

The hard drive is just about full and I want to get a larger one to expand it.

I want to move EVERYTHING including the OS onto the new bigger HDD and use the current 2GB one as a storage. Going to take the OS and everything else off and just leave the video files. I want to put all the movies and tv on it as a back up to lock in my safe, just in case something happens (theft or HDD corruption in the future) as it took me over a year to rip everything and I got rid of 3/4 of the hard copies of the collection after I ripped them. I would lose my marbles if I had to do it all over again!

This way if something happens I can just pick up a new hard drive and move the stuff back over from the one that will be locked away.

My question is, can I get a program somewhere that will allow the transfer or do I just hook the new one up and copy/paste the whole drive? Is there a mirroring program? I know I can load the OS on and move the files and programs one by one but would like to do it in one shot if possible.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
Ok, I just finished building my HTPC and ripped all of my Dvds, Tv shows, and blu-ray onto a 2GB hard drive.

The hard drive is just about full and I want to get a larger one to expand it.

I want to move EVERYTHING including the OS onto the new bigger HDD and use the current 2GB one as a storage. Going to take the OS and everything else off and just leave the video files. I want to put all the movies and tv on it as a back up to lock in my safe, just in case something happens (theft or HDD corruption in the future) as it took me over a year to rip everything and I got rid of 3/4 of the hard copies of the collection after I ripped them. I would lose my marbles if I had to do it all over again!

This way if something happens I can just pick up a new hard drive and move the stuff back over from the one that will be locked away.

My question is, can I get a program somewhere that will allow the transfer or do I just hook the new one up and copy/paste the whole drive? Is there a mirroring program? I know I can load the OS on and move the files and programs one by one but would like to do it in one shot if possible.
What os are you running?

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My bad. I'm running windows 7 home.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
Well your gonna have to install windows 7 on the new HD. It easier this way then just delete all the other files from the 2gb HD leaving what you want to keep.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know that is definitely the bare minimum option.

Is there no way to mirror the hard drive to do a full swap all at once then take off what I want to remove from the smaller one?

I'm hitting google. I thought someone here might have ran across this at some point so I figured I would throw the question out there.

Mysteryemotionz

Registered VIP
Norton ghost drive is the only I can think off to us for what your trying to do