Confused about replacement bulbs for projector headlights... HELP

civichick

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A while back I bought projector headlights, but didn't change the bulbs. I went today and stupidly bought replacement bulbs made for the car and not for the headlights. Now I am confused. I know that I can use the original signal bulbs and I know I need H1 bulbs for the low beam, but I don't what to use for the hi beam. When I took off the headlight the bulb currently installed as the hi beam looks like a different size than the low beam. Anyone know??

Bangin' HB

surfing member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
my lights are h3 low, h1 highs. should be stamped on the front of the housing

civichick

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bangin' HB said:
my lights are h3 low, h1 highs. should be stamped on the front of the housing

Thanks so much! The H1 is stamped on the housing so I was sure about that, but couldn't find the other.

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
take out the bulb you want to replace, it should have it's code on it...

if it doesnt, just take it in with you when you go to get another bulb

civichick

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
take out the bulb you want to replace, it should have it's code on it...

if it doesnt, just take it in with you when you go to get another bulb
well i want to replace my stock bulbs with HID style bulbs so they are two totally different bulbs.

whtcivic93

www.mm-graphics.net
civichick said:
well i want to replace my stock bulbs with HID style bulbs so they are two totally different bulbs.
the actual glass part of it would be different yes, but i beleive the part that connects into the light would look the same.... somone correct me if im wrong

blacknmild874

b00st s00n!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
whtcivic93 said:
the actual glass part of it would be different yes, but i beleive the part that connects into the light would look the same.... somone correct me if im wrong
just last night my driver side headlight went out and i went up to O'Reilly Auto Parts and the guys told me you have to slice the wires and make new connections...i belive the plugs are completely wrong..thats what he told me...

dont quote me on that though

JDizzle :D

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
civichick said:
no they arent......

hid style bulbs are a marketing ploy.....

i answered your question....

if that wasnt the answer you're looking for then there's no hope for you.... sorry

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
blacknmild874 said:
just last night my driver side headlight went out and i went up to O'Reilly Auto Parts and the guys told me you have to slice the wires and make new connections...i belive the plugs are completely wrong..thats what he told me...

dont quote me on that though

JDizzle :D

:smackself :nono: counter monkeys. :lol: :lol: :lol:

There are so many of them at Pep Girls, Oh no Zone, and Uh Oh'Reilly. They are essentially convenience store clerks. I have to tell them how to find additional part numbers that aren't listed in their electronic catalogs all the f'n time.

that VERBAL

AKA Theiven Stealberg
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:

There are so many of them at Pep Girls, Oh no Zone, and Uh Oh'Reilly. They are essentially convenience store clerks. I have to tell them how to find additional part numbers that aren't listed in their electronic catalogs all the f'n time.
yeah, and all the clerks around here are the ones with the rusted ass neons out front with APC banners on them and 5 inch muffler tips. :lol:

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Beelzebubba said:

i laughed my ass off when i read that post.....

someone needs to go kick that part store cashier's ass.........

replacing headlights bulbs is the easiest part of upkeep next to pumping gas.........
there's no reason people should be having this much trouble

civichick

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$lick Rick said:
no they arent......

hid style bulbs are a marketing ploy.....

i answered your question....

if that wasnt the answer you're looking for then there's no hope for you.... sorry

they actually are different sizes. the bulbs currently in my projector headlights are a different size than my stock ones. the stock bulbs will not fit in the openings on my new headlights.

DuH-ReL

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Have you tried contacting the makers of your projector lights and asked about which bulbs the housing will accept?
$lick Rick said:
replacing headlights bulbs is the easiest part of upkeep next to pumping gas.........
there's no reason people should be having this much trouble
I beg to differ, I think the easiest part of upkeep is taking it to a mechanic/uncle who'll hook you up with oil changes :P

civichick

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DuH-ReL said:
Have you tried contacting the makers of your projector lights and asked about which bulbs the housing will accept?

I beg to differ, I think the easiest part of upkeep is taking it to a mechanic/uncle who'll hook you up with oil changes :P

i figured it out. both bulbs are H1.

1KLEANSIVIK

5+ Year Member
yeah
i got some dual angel eye projector headlites on my 94 hatch. my low beams are h3's and my highs are h1's. I have the SIlverstar somethings for my lowbeams. They arent too bad, they look a bluish color....

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
In my store we just call the competitors:

Autozone = Autocrap
Pepboys = Manny, Moe, and Jackass

DuH-ReL

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1KLEANSIVIK said:
yeah
i got some dual angel eye projector headlites on my 94 hatch. my low beams are h3's and my highs are h1's. I have the SIlverstar somethings for my lowbeams. They arent too bad, they look a bluish color....
Do you like your Silverstars? I bought a pair of 9003's but haven't installed them yet. I have stock headlamps and looking for 1 piece projectors.

civichick

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i ended up getting the sylvania silverstar H1 bulbs and i like them. now i need turn signals.

DaGFTDOne

Car Audio Guru
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have Sonar Projectors, anybody know what size those take, I think its all H1 but im not sure

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just bring in your old bulbs and match them up. Usually they'll have the bulb number on them.