Cooling fans

Vtec Missing

I having a problem with my cooling fan not coming on. I was just wondering is it alright to jump the fan switch connector to have the fan constantly running unitl i get the sensor for the fans.
The fan was test and it works.

RonJ

Banned
Is the engine over heating? What car and engine?

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The fan turns on after a certain temperature.

RonJ

Banned
Start by bleeding the cooling system (may take 20-30 minutes):

1) Park the car on an inclined driveway with the front end higher than the rear.

2) Push/turn the dash heater lever/knob to MAX heat. Fan need not be on.

3) Follow the directions in the diagram below

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Coolant flow inside radiator.

Ron, is the Inlet on top and the outlet on the bottom?

DavidR

5+ Year Member
I'm concerned about the cooling fan on my 99 ex. I've jumped the conector at the fan switch with a paper clip and the fan runs so fueses and relay must be good, I also pulled out the switch to test it in boiling pot of water and it it shows continuity around 200F So all seems to be working though I never see the fan running. Should the fan run most of the time when driving after it has reached op-temp and should both be on when the ac is on or just ac fan? No overheating problems by the way.

RonJ

Banned
I'm concerned about the cooling fan on my 99 ex. I've jumped the conector at the fan switch with a paper clip and the fan runs so fueses and relay must be good, I also pulled out the switch to test it in boiling pot of water and it it shows continuity around 200F So all seems to be working though I never see the fan running. Should the fan run most of the time when driving after it has reached op-temp and should both be on when the ac is on or just ac fan? No overheating problems by the way.
Honda engines run on the cool side, so unless it's a very hot summer day, the radiator fan may only run infrequently.

As your engine is not overheating, my only recommendation would be for you to check whether the engine is running cold due to a stuck-open thermostat. Post a picture of your temp gauge when the engine is fully warmed up. It should read approximately 1/3 from the lowest mark.

Also mention how long it takes the engine to fully warm up.

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Honda engines run on the cool side, so unless it's a very hot summer day, the radiator fan may only run infrequently.

As your engine is not overheating, my only recommendation would be for you to check whether the engine is running cold due to a stuck-open thermostat. Post a picture of your temp gauge when the engine is fully warmed up. It should read approximately 1/3 from the lowest mark.

Also mention how long it takes the engine to fully warm up.
Until you turbo them.. then they tend to run hot. :cool:

Word on the thermostat, that's what I'd check first. If anyone can diagnose your problem and help you fix it, RonJ is the man for the job! :thumbs up