Cooling system problem

Steve2001

Hello

My problem is that the coolant keeps riseing in the expansion bottle. I filled the radiator with antifreeze and bled it the way this forum discribed for 45 minutes, While doing this the expansion bottle level rose almost to the cap.Lowered level to just above the max line and Drove car for about 30min.. After the ride both radiator hoses felt pressureized I then let it cool down and checked under cap where the level was low. This all started when the car scraped bottom and then lost heat through the vents. Took it to a shop, they diagnosed that the radiator was leaking so I had them install one. (This is still questionable may change shops in future)

I also installed a new fan switch sensor and jumped the switch to see if fan worked, it did but When I was bleeding the system I did not see the fan come on??. Checked fluid for combustion gases. Replaced themostat.
I need some suggestions on what to do next.

Thanks for any advice

RonJ

Banned
What car do you have?

You may want to check the radiator cap. It should prevent pressure from building too high in the cooling system by releasing coolant to the reservoir.

Describe how you bled the cooling system.

Steve2001

Its a 2001 civic, I also replaced the cap. I bled system by jacking the front of car, started car with heat on high, removed radiator cap and as level went down added more coolant.

RonJ

Banned
Pressure test the cooling system.

What car/engine?

Steve2001

Today I cut a funnel to fit the tightly in the radiator. We ran the engine at about 2000 rpm for 1/2hr. The coolant rose just below the top of a 3in. dia 8in. tall funnel and there were some bubbles now and then but nothing real turbulent. We decided to check for combustion gas again. The test showed signs of gas in coolant. This is the first time using a kit like this so I,m guessing that even a slight change in fluid color is bad.

Let me know if I'm on the right track but it looks like a head gasket to me:x.
Could this also explain the excess pressure in the system?

We may have to tackle this job ourselves.

Thanks .

letspunkcanada

i have an 03 civic ex 4 door and my car is doing the same crap with over heating, and i replaced the cap and and everything else seems to be working like the fans and thermostat but the car is still over heating, do you think it could be a possible head gasket? I mean it leaks like hell but there is no sign externally and i know its not the heater core either.

Steve2001

For about 60 bucks at Tooltopia.com there is a combustion gas test kit (http://www.tooltopia.com/uview-560000.aspx) and a bunch of videos on youtube using it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1om5kFlT7E&feature=related).

This is a video of the way I checked it with the funnel in my post.(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAJLMd46ySU&feature=related) mine wasn't as turbulent. Then checked again for combustion gas in which fluid changed shades but not to a bright yellow.

The car is being check by another shop to see if my hunch is right and because of an extended warranty that may or may not cover some of the work.

Hope this is some help to ya.