cooling system questions

JonnyBad

5+ Year Member
car runs fine from cold start, but after it warms up it starts sputtering and missing- temp gauge on dash is fine- but I think the car is running hot. Upper radiator hose has pressure and is hot after engine has been running for a few minutes, but the lower hose doesn't seem to have anything coming through it (no pressure when squeezed, not hot) B16a sir2 just swapped in 2k miles ago- car has been running great until now- any ideas? I replaced the water pump before putting in the motor- maybe thermostat or clogged radiator?

chiliredDX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did you try flushing your cooling system? know this sounds like you probably thought of it, but its somewhere to start

JL

Doodoo Brown Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Try running it until the thermostat and fan are engaged then feel the lower hose. If it's still cold then replace the thermostat but if it was bad that should affect the temp guage. :what: But that's where I'd start.

Jmoto911

Built, not bought.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
JL said:
Try running it until the thermostat and fan are engaged then feel the lower hose. If it's still cold then replace the thermostat but if it was bad that should affect the temp guage. :what: But that's where I'd start.
Im with JL.. you could also get a new thermostat sensor thing because im pretty sure they sell them aftermarket and the aftermarket ones start cooling at a lower temp..

Also, you could try bleeding and filling your rad hoses because it should take about 40 mins of filling to completly
fill your cooling system.

JL

Doodoo Brown Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Jmoto911 said:
Im with JL.. you could also get a new thermostat sensor thing because im pretty sure they sell them aftermarket and the aftermarket ones start cooling at a lower temp..

Also, you could try bleeding and filling your rad hoses because it should take about 40 mins of filling to completly
fill your cooling system.
The thermostat sensor thing is actuallty the fan switch. When it came time to replace one. I replaced all, meaning, thermostat, fan switch, and radiator cap. I went w/ Mugen but there are a lot of companies out there. You just want to make sure all the temp specs match. Safe to just get all three from the same company.

Jmoto911

Built, not bought.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
JL said:
The thermostat sensor thing is actuallty the fan switch. When it came time to replace one. I replaced all, meaning, thermostat, fan switch, and radiator cap. I went w/ Mugen but there are a lot of companies out there. You just want to make sure all the temp specs match. Safe to just get all three from the same company.
:werd:

I broke my fan switch when I was putting in my rear mount so I think ima buy a moooogen one. Ill prob replace all at the same time, good idea ;)

JonnyBad

5+ Year Member
lower hose not tight, or hot when engine has warmed up, so thermostat was my first thought, but the temp gauge comes up the same way it normally does, and then hangs out exactly the same as it normally has so thats what confuses me- but would a cooling issue cause the poor running, or have I just come across a secondary problem?

JonnyBad

5+ Year Member
Ok so the whole cooling system checks out- radiator clear- heat working, fan coming on and off as usual, hoses not clogged. After checking trough the cooling system I cranked it up and let it run for a while til it got hot then reved it up and down a few times seemed fine, so I cut it off, and then it wouldn't start back up- let it sit for like 3 minutes- then it cranked right back up- ran it for a few minutes, reving and all, then turned it off. Cranked right back up- no stumbing or anything....WTF? How about bad gas? after cooling system fuel system was my next idea, 6 tanks atleast since swap, and 2 applications injector cleaner- one of which was the last time I filled up-

Kaotic_Zeus

Most hated man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
wait where's the fan switch located? i think my dads accord switch isn't working.

JonnyBad

5+ Year Member
ok so I have run it in the drive way a couple more times and had no problems, but Im still a little nervous driving it to class- last day and no more absences- and I didn't "fix" anything since the problem started- well beside cleaning the air filiter~ guess Im going to have to suck it up and drive the cobra one more time- bummer-

2 slow

5+ Year Member
okay trust the midas touch here we go honestly i think your radiator might be clogged if your getting flow to the top but the return line gets nothing take a garden hose and flush it first / then if the problem continues replace the radiator if it continues after that get back at me