CR-V Intake system in '97 Honda Civic?

jackdog1

Well, here's an interesting thing I found with my 97 civic DX: it has a CR-V air intake installed. I guess my question is whether or not this okay, and if it will have any effect on mileage or performance.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What year CR-V? Factory or aftermarket intake? What filter does it have? How does the acceleration feel, bogged down or free flowing? A picture might help.

jackdog1

What year CR-V? Factory or aftermarket intake? What filter does it have? How does the acceleration feel, bogged down or free flowing? A picture might help.
1997 CR-V most likely, it matches the picture in my 96-00 civi/cr-v/integra repair manual; it looks like a factory one. I just replaced the filter with an A35150. I don't have extensive driving experience, but the acceleration seems okay and is very smooth.

Replacing the filter was when I realized that it wasn't a Civic intake, as the one that was supposed to fit didn't at all.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That may be used in a CR-V but it also corresponds to some of the different Civic trims. I have that intake & box in my HX. Soneone probably sourced whatever airbox they found in a junkyard for any number of reasons.

jackdog1

That may be used in a CR-V but it also corresponds to some of the different Civic trims. I have that intake & box in my HX. Soneone probably sourced whatever airbox they found in a junkyard for any number of reasons.
How can I double-check what trim it is? (the letters are missing from the back)

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can try looking up the parts diagrams for each trim and verify that way.

whitesedan

Respected
5+ Year Member
I currently own both vehicles, '98 CR-V and '99 Civic. The air box on both vehicle is identical and the filter is the same part number. Currently my CR-V has my K&N Drop in filter after I removed my stock intake from my civic.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
The two air boxes are practically identical. I believe you can swap them between vehicles. The only difference might be the resonance chamber on the hose.

mc360

boosted hx
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Look at the title for your car it should say the trim I think, if not search your vin . If the letters and numbers ej6 are in your vin it's a dx, ej7 it's an hx, ej8 it's an ex

jackdog1

Look at the title for your car it should say the trim I think, if not search your vin . If the letters and numbers ej6 are in your vin it's a dx, ej7 it's an hx, ej8 it's an ex
Thanks! Apparently, my car is in fact an EX (ej8), despite what the title says. The fact that it has a sunroof confirms that.

This thread is solved then, thanks everyone for all your help.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member