Crackling/Rustling sound during mid-accelerator

FLAteam

5+ Year Member
Like the title says, my car seems to make a cracking or rustling sound coming from the engine bay after putting the accelerator down a bit farther than half way (but not flooring it). I noticed this while merging onto freeways. Does anyone know what this sound is? It doesn't seem to happen during slow acceleration or wide-open throttle.

Thanks.

bhacker9

ebp si
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sounds like your engine is pinging

bhacker9

ebp si
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What engine are you running? usually the cylinder is not getting enough fuel, bad fuel pressure, bad injectors, maybe try a tune up.

thisisoriginal

pete's cheese nugget
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It happens with me too. I have a y7, and when i shift higher it makes that sound. I am curious as to what it is.

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you said its crackling not pinging so i think it sounds like your catylitic convertor......notice that you didnt realize the noise til you were merging on the highway, and likely there were cement walls around which the sound would bounce off of making the noise easier to hear....typical of an undercar problem......if the engine had a problem then you would hear it all the time, and idk what that guy is talking about saying that your pistons arent getting enough gas? they are lubricated by oil...so dont listen to him....and the rings around your pistons make it fit tight into the cylinder so they wouldnt be making a pinging noise.....if you have a stock convertor then i say that is definitly your problem.....if you have a high flow or something then that cant be your problem, if you do have a high flow convertor then i dont really know what else it could be, im 99 percent sure its your convertor

FLAteam

5+ Year Member
come to think of it, maybe you're right. it does sound lower and farther down from the engine (i thought it was coming from the back at one point). i wonder if this is a good time to upgrade or something, because i'm pretty sure i'm running a stock catalytic converter.

semeyecivic

5+ Year Member
I Also Had Same Problem................

I got told numerous things from the heat sheild on the manifold to the cat, i was changing my manifold to a 4-2-1 anyway so did it and the ticking dissapeared, u then find you get a rasberry noise out your backbox but changing to a full system sorts that out, its just cause the exhaust gets banged and rust moves about something like that i got told.

www.myspace.com/gogogadgetlaughter

Jus starting a project civic

turbo conversion to go next

:cool:

FLAteam

5+ Year Member
haha, ok...so you guys are saying just change the whole damn thing out. that doesn't sound expensive...(sarcasm)

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I got told numerous things from the heat sheild on the manifold to the cat, i was changing my manifold to a 4-2-1 anyway so did it and the ticking dissapeared, u then find you get a rasberry noise out your backbox but changing to a full system sorts that out, its just cause the exhaust gets banged and rust moves about something like that i got told.

www.myspace.com/gogogadgetlaughter

Jus starting a project civic

turbo conversion to go next

:cool:
yeah dont listen to this guy he is obviously high, rasberries dont make sounds.......just replace the cat

James_spec

5+ Year Member
i think u should start by narrowing down the problem. every situation is different. start by narrowing down the noise to the source. put ur car up on stands and have a buddy start the car put it in gear and drive it like u normally do. then see where the noise is coming from. check for loose heat shields, cat cover, anything that can cause noise. if thats not the case, then u u know for sure thats not the problem and it can be something internal.

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i think u should start by narrowing down the problem. every situation is different. start by narrowing down the noise to the source. put ur car up on stands and have a buddy start the car put it in gear and drive it like u normally do. then see where the noise is coming from. check for loose heat shields, cat cover, anything that can cause noise. if thats not the case, then u u know for sure thats not the problem and it can be something internal.
DONT DRIVE YOUR CAR WHILE ITS ON JACKSTANDS! are you serious? thats probably one of the dumbest ideas ive ever heard

semeyecivic

5+ Year Member
haha

yes do listen to me cause im british and not a dumbass like some people as all people know that there is such thing as a rasberry sound not the fruit you thicko

got sumtimes you yanks try and be clever dont ya :evil: