crank position sensor issue

bhansen

5+ Year Member
Hi Everyone-
This is my first post. I drive a 2002 honda civic lx (4dr)

I have a specific problem happening and need some advice. I recently had a problem where my car would start jerking when i would accelerate...the engine light came on as well. I took it to a mechanic and he diagnosed it as a faulty crank position sensor. He replaced it, the car ran fine for a few days then it happened again...he found that the connector to the sensor was corroded. He cleaned the contact and all that, the car ran fine for a few days again, then the problem and light came back.

Now he is saying I need a specific part called a pigtail connector for the crank position sensor. If I can't find that (which I haven't been able to so far), he says the only other option is to get a new wiring harness...which seems to be really expensive to get replaced. Can anyone help me find that specific part? Or help with any other advice? Thanks any help is much appreciated.

bsegovia

5+ Year Member
Sounds similar to my issue - did you fix it?

I think i may have the same problem. I was driving when the car jerked a little. Then it seemed like the transmission stopped pulling (as I pressed the gas the engine revved but the car didnt speed up). So i pulled over and restarted the car.

It pulled away normally and as I got up to speed the car started jerking again until the engine completely died. When i pulled back over the car wouldnt turn over anymore. I had a mechanic buddy come over to check it out and he said it didnt sound like any sort of mechanical failure but instead it was probably the Cam Position Sensor or Crank Shaft Position Sensor.

This happened right at the beginning of the holidays so my car is still sitting in my driveway and I'm scared it's going to cost tons of money.

Did you resolve the issue? What did it end up costing you?

Thanks in advance.

wafflebloc

5+ Year Member
CPS CKP Woes

2002 Honda civic, smae problem here corroded plug. I was able to find a used wiring harness on ebay, but I can't believe that there isn't an aftermarket place that doesn't make this one little plug and sell it for 50 bucks or something.

Did anyones issue ever resolve? Tiips sugestions? thanks
Joel

CDPCIVIC86

5+ Year Member
IM HAVING THA SAME PROB ? WHEN I GIVE THA CAR STEADY GAS ? IT JUMPS, AND JERKS ? IF IM IN IT RUNS GREAT ??? I NEED HELP AS WELL ?!!?!?!?!

BUMP !!!!: word:

matt9112

5+ Year Member
don't buy a civic with the terrible chassis? =) lol j/k but yeah guys JUNKYARDS! or ebay...

RollingCarShop

5+ Year Member
Hey guys, I came across this thread while looking for the same pigtail. I found a company here in Phoenix that had it. They also have a location in Chicago. Its called Aeromotive Inc. They specialize in rebuilding and restoring wiring harnesses, particulalry for late models. Jose over there actually responded to an ad I put on craigslist, I sent them a picture, and sure enough they had it on hand. Pricey for a connector, $86 and some change, but a lot cheaper than the whole engine harness. They're local for me, but they said they could ship it for $17, don't know if that applies to out of state or not. Good luck to all - Aeromotive Inc. - 602-258-5601 - 1-866-4HARNESS - Parts@aeromotiveinc.net

Ogremedic

Same problem

I'm glad I found this thread, can anyone tell me if the pigtail solved the issue, I took it in charged me 300 bucks to reseat the sensor and a month later the problem is back I'm assuming it has to be an issue with the pigtail.

SteveOramA

RollingCarShop, thank you for sharing the post above, you are awesome!

For All that Need It and Ogremedic-

Yesterday, I ordered the pigtail connector from the company in the post above, AEROMOTIVE INC.
I had them ship it overnight, from Arizona, to my mechanic and it fit perfectly.
My issue started with my water-pump being faulty (new install during timing belt change/different mechanic lol), and leaking onto the crankshaft sensor, eventually causing the sensor to short out. My car stalled out and wouldn't start again. My mechanic found the issue after inspecting my electrical system/components.
Anyway, I want to promote AEROMOTIVE because they had the part when Honda doesn't offer it. Honda will sale the entire wire harness set for hundreds and not just sale the specific connector needed. Give aeromotive a call or send them an email, it will save you $400-$600 in parts and labor.
The only other option is, a junkyard. I couldn't find the part within 50+ mile radius.
I am not being paid or compensated by aeromotive in any way for promoting their service. I just want everyone to know that there is an outlet. Good Luck!!!

AEROMOTIVE
602-258-5601
602-258-5662
1.866.4HARNESS
parts@aeromotiveinc.net

AEROMOTIVE INC. / AERODYNE INC. FOR ALL YOUR AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICAL NEEDS!!

Ogremedic

RollingCarShop, thank you for sharing the post above, you are awesome!

For All that Need It and Ogremedic-

Yesterday, I ordered the pigtail connector from the company in the post above, AEROMOTIVE INC.
I had them ship it overnight, from Arizona, to my mechanic and it fit perfectly.
My issue started with my water-pump being faulty (new install during timing belt change/different mechanic lol), and leaking onto the crankshaft sensor, eventually causing the sensor to short out. My car stalled out and wouldn't start again. My mechanic found the issue after inspecting my electrical system/components.
Anyway, I want to promote AEROMOTIVE because they had the part when Honda doesn't offer it. Honda will sale the entire wire harness set for hundreds and not just sale the specific connector needed. Give aeromotive a call or send them an email, it will save you $400-$600 in parts and labor.
The only other option is, a junkyard. I couldn't find the part within 50+ mile radius.
I am not being paid or compensated by aeromotive in any way for promoting their service. I just want everyone to know that there is an outlet. Good Luck!!!

AEROMOTIVE
602-258-5601
602-258-5662
1.866.4HARNESS
parts@aeromotiveinc.net

AEROMOTIVE INC. / AERODYNE INC. FOR ALL YOUR AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICAL NEEDS!!
That's great news, do you happen to have a picture of it so I don't have take apart the car to get a picture of it? I changed out my water pump too and assuming the corrosion on the cable is what caused the issue. I swapped the sensor but if the cable is shot it would explain the issue I'm having.

gebs06

Klub EJ
Registered VIP
looks like the 7th gens civics are having a common problem w/ the CKP. Hope u guys get that taken care of........

SteveOramA

That's great news, do you happen to have a picture of it so I don't have take apart the car to get a picture of it? I changed out my water pump too and assuming the corrosion on the cable is what caused the issue. I swapped the sensor but if the cable is shot it would explain the issue I'm having.
Hey Orgemedic,
I’m sorry, I don’t' have a picture of the connector because it has been installed. I can tell you that all is working at this point. When my mechanic received the connector from aeromotive, he immediately hooked it up to the sensor and found that the sensor was bad as well (blown fuse). Therefore, the sensor needed to be replaced as well.
If you had a leaky water pump and there is corrosion on the connector and sensor, especially where they join, then I feel you should replace both. I will see if I can get a small camera down into the sensor area and try to snap a shot within the next couple of days. Are you blowing any fuses:?:

Ogremedic

Hey Orgemedic,
I’m sorry, I don’t' have a picture of the connector because it has been installed. I can tell you that all is working at this point. When my mechanic received the connector from aeromotive, he immediately hooked it up to the sensor and found that the sensor was bad as well (blown fuse). Therefore, the sensor needed to be replaced as well.
If you had a leaky water pump and there is corrosion on the connector and sensor, especially where they join, then I feel you should replace both. I will see if I can get a small camera down into the sensor area and try to snap a shot within the next couple of days. Are you blowing any fuses:?:
Not blowing fuses, Thats why I figured it must be the wire. But since I'll be back in there I may as well swap the sensor too just to be sure. Since I'm doing the work the labor charges will be cheap =) If you have the part number from them that would work too but I really appreciate all your help on this

charl723

Same problem guys. I need a picture to send aero motive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheapohokie

crank sensor connector pic

Same here, seems like a recurring theme!! Does anyone out there have a pic??

My mechanic told me this is the problem and I don't trust myself trying to take anything apart. :oops:

massasshadows

Same issue. I replaced my CKP Sensor twice! One after market and one Certified part. Still the same problem.

Please post a pic if you get a chance because i'm unsure of what connector is being reffered to here. the only other connector i would think of is the one that the plug end of the CKP Sensor connects into. Is that right??

JDaniel

Pigtail connector

Hey everyone,

I had the exact same problem with my 04 Civic EX: timing belt and water hose replaced, and three weeks later, bucking and kicking and a P0335 (Crankshaft position sensor) code. I haven't had it opened up to see what the exact problem is yet, but it looks like this one (bad connector) is the most common.

I don't know if this helps or if it's exactly what people are looking for, but I found this at a honda parts site:
http://www.1hondaparts.com/product/Honda/CIVIC/2004/2DR EX/KA4AT/honda/pigtail-1.25-10-pieces-red/04320-sp0-r00-honda/

If nothing else, maybe its a suitable picture for that other place to use..