Cranks and dies

AnimeKid

Recently my car has been having problems staying cranked. I can crank and itll run for a few seconds and then itll die. I tried reving it today and it got to 2500 rpms and then just went caput. Guy at my work says it sounds like either my fuel filter is clogged and needs changing or my fuel pump is going out. I just wanted to get yalls opinion on it before I went out and spent money on some parts I dont need.

RonJ

Banned
CEL codes? How old are the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor? Did you check the mechanical timing?

emerican

Registered VIP
^ this
When was the last time a full tune up was done on it if its been awhile id start there you need it either way. plugs wires cap and rotor fuel filter air filter check timming if you can do that yourself if not have someone else check it. If it was mine id go ahead and get gumout or seafoam fuel system cleaner and do that as well. Hope this helps i hope you get it figured out man.

95coupeEX

Sounds like it may be the timing, I would check that n if its good then move on to the full tune up mentioned above, put some NGK plugs in it, change the wires, WIX Fuel Filter, new air filter, new cap and rotor, then go ahead and add some Seafoam to the fuel. Seafoam is really good to use even if it doesn't need a tune up, put some in the fuel, then run some through the intake to just to clean the valves and everything real good.