cranks, but no start =/

BrainTrain

First symptom i noticed was little hiccups in idle. Then began having trouble starting. Then the engine became seriously bogged down whenever I'd accelerate or climb hills. Now I'm getting no start at all. Changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Getting spark. Tried changing fuel pump and filter. Exhaust smells like gas when I'm cranking it. No codes. Cel would come on briefly when the engine would bog. Maybe not enough air to the engine? Going to try cleaning iac valve and throttle body. I'm almost out of ideas. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Update: removed throttle body and found coolant filling one of the lines running into the iac valve. Is this the problem? What to do now?

Update: so i guess those are coolant line... my bad. One of the lines isn't filled with coolant though. Does that mean anything?

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you are smelling fuel out of the exhaust that means you are getting plenty of fuel and NO SPARK. You are flooding it.

How do you know you are getting spark? Did you check each plug for spark? Is the spark healthy?

My guess is a bad distributor or coil, but like 90% of diagnosis over the net, it is just a guess.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Could be a bad coil..

IhaveaSTD.hb

CIVIC STD!
bum bum buuuum... is it a blown head gasket?

check your oil and if it looks like chocolate milk, youve got a blown head gasket.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
X2 on the compression test.

JeffBel

Registered VIP
K. So I've gone through this quite a few times now. On my Integra it was simple, ended up being oil on the plugs causing no spark. There are basic things to why its not starting but cranking. Air, fuel, spark and timing. If you can smell fuel then you most likely have it, so that rules out pump, injectors and filter. On to air, spray some brake cleaner in the throttle body and give it a try. Spark, start with taking out one of the wires, putting a screwdriver in the end and lay it close to a ground roughly a quarter inch spaced from the ground; valve cover posts work perfect. If you see spark move on to the plugs, take them out, clean them up and check the gapping. Still nothing try different plugs. If it isnt air, fuel or spark then its down to timing or headgasket. Take the valve cover/timing cover off and check the marks on the cams and crank. Then the headgasket, 90% of the time you can take the oil cap off and look for white on the under side. 10% of the time you'll have to compression test.

Wow make this a sticky, seems to happen once a week

TokyoSkies

Boost Junkie
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
As others have said, three things get an engine running: air, fuel and spark. Also, check spark on all of your plugs. It should be white with a blue tinge. If it's orange, your coil is failing or you're not getting a good source of spark (could be plugs, dizzy etc.). If it's orange on just one or two of the plugs, its the plugs. At this point, I'd suggest replacing plugs and plug wires while you're at it. You can smell fuel, so as others have said, fuel is obviously good (it's flooding). Check timing on both the dizzy and cam, assure that both are TDC and correct. If all of this is good, and you're still unable to start, compression would be my next guess. I had a similar issue, turned out my tensioner on my timing belt had loosened and I jumped like 3 teeth. Don't know how I didn't warp the head/f**k the block, but once timed and fixed, the car ran fine.