crankshaft position sensor questions...

lownslow

5+ Year Member
So i think that we have determined that it is the crank position sensor so i am going to replace it. i went to advance auto parts and they looked it up and idk the ckp was different between the 2door (40ish dollars) and the 4door which is what i have (140ish). so anyways they looked it up and it showed that they are unable to get the ckp for my car 97 4dr dx. so now i have a few questions.

1. what crank position sensor do i need for my car
2. where do i get it
3. does anyone have a part number for it?

thanks
eric

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
assuming you still have the stock d16y7 that came with the car from the factory, any 96-00 civic cx, dx, or lx will have the same application (all share the same engine).

lownslow

5+ Year Member
thats what i thought which is totally wierd. so the ONLY one that WONT work is one for a CIVIC EX because it has the vtec engine?

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
and Si. but stay with one that works on a d16y7.

lownslow

5+ Year Member
ok so now im all screwed up i went to auto zone to get one and they ordered it for me but it is for a 97 civic dx 4door but japan version with the j at the beginning of the vin and mine has a number for the first digit which i think means that it is a canadian version. the sensor is ordered regardless but will it fit now?

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
as long as the car you ordered it for has a d16y7 (any 96-00 dx, cx or ls) jdm or usd, european, canadian, doesnt matter. as long as it has a d16y7 you will be fine (just remember the canadian Si is equivilant to the Ex here, while the SiR is equivilant to the Si here, ithnk its the same for european and japanese cars but any dx lx or cx will be the same.