Crappy welding?

Zach_power

5+ Year Member
Hey guys. Need a good eye who knows stuff about welding.

My gf recently bought be an exhaust online (a cheapo twin-loop knockoff or something she said. Anyways, her step-dad installed it (it was a weld on) as he owns a car shop.

Well two months later one of his welds break thats holding the hangers in place, and the whole thing falls off causing the converter to snap in half. So, being pretty pissed i called him and he kindly fixed it.

So now, its working just as intended to, yet im a little paranoid the thing is going to fall off on me again >.<

So anyone who knows what welding is supposed to look like; just check out the pic and let me know what you think.

Let it ride out until it does fall off (if it will) and then take it someplace RIGHT?

or

Take it to a muffler shop and get it welded right?

Thanks!
~Zach

]

ocdjg

5+ Year Member
Ummm that looks like sheit if you ask me. I'm no expert but isn't a good weld supposed to look like a series of coins?

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i second that. and it looks like since the weld wasnt painted over it just rusted off. sometimes the shittiest welds hold as good as professional ones cause theyre so thick (happended on the exaust that came with my car). Id say take it to a muffler shop and get their opinion because it normally dont cost much to get a single weld fixed.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Looks like goat took a s**t on it. That will not hold. Get that thing fixed ASAP!

Zach_power

5+ Year Member
Alright, thanks guy! I'm going to swing by a Monro Muffler shop in town later and he said he would give me an estimate.

I'll let ya know how it goes

~Zach

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
exhausts should be mounted with rubber mounts, so i would try to get one of those.

Zach_power

5+ Year Member
Well there are two rubber ovals where it hangs from the car. You mean the whole thing is supposed to be hung by rubber?

lotz6996

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
is the holders actually through the rubber ovals, and thats all that it needs. the rubber absorbes the flex from the engine. thats normally why the welds break.

Zach_power

5+ Year Member
Yeah, the hangers are through the rubber holders, the welding broke off the exhaust it self.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That is a terrible weld. Looks like the very first time I gave it a shot. He just needs more practice and a good teacher or a good book. We call them bubble gum welds around here. That is a sure sign of an inexperienced welder. I would have it redone correctly or you are just going to keep running into it breaking. There is a very small possibility that it even got good penetration on both ends. You might as well use hot glue.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ray charles can weld better than that.....here is what it should look like

defvayne

Set This World On Blaze!!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ray charles can weld better than that.....here is what it should look like

That's TIG welding you need years of practice to get it to look like that. What was used on the hanger was stick rod welding. That weld is going to crack again, i see no proper weld. I hate when they stick weld hangers on stainless exhausts. Proper way to do it is TIG SS hangers or MIG SS hangers on to the Exhaust. Mixing SS metal and raw metal will make stainless oxidize and rust.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
^^ truth

that is one shitty looking weld. lol @ the goat s**t comment. i can't believe the dude owns a shop with welding technique like that