Crazy Climate Control - seriously wtf?

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ok, so Im bored this morning, thought I'd share the screwed up story of my Climate Control...

So check this out, my climate control has done this for the last 2-3 seasons and it confuses the hell out of me.

It is now SUMMER, so i want AC, well, my climate control is stuck at about this:

cold ------------ warm
===| |=============

I can move the switch all the way to the right, and about 85% to the left, but it doesnt effect the setting, Im getting fairly cold AC no matter what. This really doesnt matter since its 90 degrees out, I still have decent AC.

Now, WINTER rolls around, and s**t, im stuck with getting cold-air blown all over me and it sucks, bad... until it cools down to about 20 degrees. (my estimate) For the last 2 years or so, once it gets that cold something will pop my climate control into working in the opposite mode.

So my settings get stuck at about this:

cold ------------ warm
=============| |===

Almost identical problem, only now with HEAT. I can no longer get AC, but its now freezing cold and who cares? I need HEAT!

So, in the end, its really not a problem in the SUMMER or WINTER its just the spring and fall when you might just want a tad of either AC or HEAT that this piece of crap really ticks me off...

Has anyone ever heard of this? I mean if it just stayed one way or the other Id be like what a broken climate control. But since it seems to magically switch between AC or HEAT mode depending on the weather outside it really perplexes me... anyways thats my long pointless story, thanks for reading!

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
take off the glove box and lower dash piece with the outlet and there is black cable that comes from the climate control and goes down toward the passenger side floor and adjusts the climate control. it shouldn't be too hard to find. it clips into a bracket and then goes around a mechanism that it moves back and forth when you slide the climate control lever. unclip the cable and move it slightly, if you play with it you should be able to get it back to normal.

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
take off the glove box and lower dash piece with the outlet and there is black cable that comes from the climate control and goes down toward the passenger side floor and adjusts the climate control. it shouldn't be too hard to find. it clips into a bracket and then goes around a mechanism that it moves back and forth when you slide the climate control lever. unclip the cable and move it slightly, if you play with it you should be able to get it back to normal.
:werd:

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
that's how it works for 96-98 at least, no idea what you have

postal21

vroom vroom
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah, ive got a 97 EX.

Ill give it a try when it stops raining. thanks cgpej6.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
99-00 Climate Controls are electrical (where as 96-98 are mechanical), so you'll prolly have to replace the whole unit...unless you can pull it apart and fix it (the actual unit itself).

dementor

5+ Year Member
This happened to me on my 00 civic, the box was jammed opened under the glove box and my stupid mechanic tried to force it to move and broke the door... He claimed he didn't know what was wrong and that I should take it to honda... long story short I took it to honda $1000 later my AC/Heating is working again. Luckily alot of that money came out of my stupid mechanic's pocket.

f4113n

Fu
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
My Civic does this. During the winter...I'll have the heat blasting...then it gets too hot so I turn it down...but ti doesn't do s**t.

sharpas3000

i have had the same problem with my 1994 civic and i checked the cable below the dash and it moves fine i dont think its the cable i think its the mecanism and with winter here i need heat but its stuck on the cold side of the tracks