Currently Replacing Shifter, Need Help ASAP!

C-JizzleCX

5+ Year Member
Im currently in the middle of installing a Skunk2 short shifter on my 96 CX, and need help with the last 2 parts. I currently have the shifter in, the only 2 problems I'm haveing are:

1) The linkage connecting to the trans that I took off to put on the new bushings won't go back on (I can't get the whole to line up for the bolt). The bolt goes in, but wont thread through to the other side (this is the B?IGGEST problem, and really is starting to annoy me). any tips on lining it up?

2) The new bolt that I was provided to connect the bottom of the shifter to the linkage has 2 washers, a big round metal piece, and the other 2 smaller metal pieces with one end thicker than the other. If anyone has a diagram of how this goes on, I'll love you forever

I have to finish soon, can't drive it until I do :( Thanks in advance

kaepos

I'm a Registered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im currently in the middle of installing a Skunk2 short shifter on my 96 CX, and need help with the last 2 parts. I currently have the shifter in, the only 2 problems I'm haveing are:

1) The linkage connecting to the trans that I took off to put on the new bushings won't go back on (I can't get the whole to line up for the bolt). The bolt goes in, but wont thread through to the other side (this is the B?IGGEST problem, and really is starting to annoy me). any tips on lining it up?
I had problems too, turns out I had switched the bushings (they go in a particular way). I don't know what bushings you're using, but I have Energy Suspension bushings... so that could be part of your problems.

shaunmac9128

5+ Year Member
Can't help but when you get it all set post back and if theres a noticable difference or not.

C-JizzleCX

5+ Year Member
So I finished yesterday, theres a HUGE difference. My gears just click in, real quick shifting, only grinded second once yesterday, havent done it since, I'm thinking it's defenitley the bushings tho.

One question for anyone who has one (sorry it's long lol):

The bolt they send comes with a round cylinder metal piece, 2 washers, and 2 weird metal cylinders with one bigger than the other. I read Im supposed to put the weird pieces into the hole in the bottom of the shifter and file it down to fit it between the fork in the linkage where they connect. Problem is, theres no space. I just stuck the washers between the shifter and fork, put one weird piece on each end on the outside, and didnt even use the cylinder cuz it wouldnt fit. Can I bend the fork to make it wider?