Custom exhaust help!

Zach-R

SOHC powa!!!
5+ Year Member
First off dont flame me for this plz! i can have my exhaust ran for realy cheap like from the cat back for about $70(what it was last time)any size up to 3' with a resonator. only problem is its crush bent, which means the piping gets smaller around the bends.

now my question is where can i buy mandrel bent tubing. and what peices will i need? i figured on 2 90' bends but not sure about the section that goes over the axle. ill run it under the axle if i have to i dont care.

or should i just get a catback from ebay for about $170? only problem with this is with a cat delete pipe its gonna be obnoxiously loud!! which i do not want so i would prolly put a baffled resonator on it anyways. this is my daily driver.

input is aprecciated as long as you give a reason for your answers. plz no stupid remarks!:word:

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
dont go cheap, you get what your pay for. i'd say just get an oem replacement if its for your daily driver. spend the extra cash to do it right the first time, or else you'll be spending money down the line on replacing broken parts and a new exhaust if you go cheap with it. just my opinion.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There are many ways you can go.....if you are doing this for performance then there are several options.

Doing a custom exhaust has benefits and downfalls, yes the pipe gets smaller around the bends....but you are adding more of a free flow exhaust over stock. Don't do 3in on a N/A car. 2.5in at the most. Ebay stuff is Ebay stuff some people like it some don't. You can get piping from jegs and many other companies and piece together your own exhaust.

If you are just doing it for the noise and not performance then just an axle-back and call it a day. I have had buddies just modify the stock exhaust and be happy with it. They keep all piping an rear muffler but cut the resonator off and run a straight pipe for that. Doesn't sound to bad.

The Apexi WS exhaust is fairly cheap and quite.

There are many options depending on preference and cash flow.

Exhaust bends at a muffler shop aren't that bad and you will never notice the difference.

Zach-R

SOHC powa!!!
5+ Year Member
i think im gonna throw a resonator and my magnaflow oval muffler on. i wonder if i should bump exhaust size up to 2.5 inch since it has the crush bends? i want this exhaust to perform better than stock but be as quiet as possible.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
run straight piped with a hiflo cat up to a stock muffler. it would be almost as quiet as stock except when you romp it and be very free flowing. i did this for a while and i was very pleased

EK|B

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
If you're not a speed racer, I'd just put on the $70 exhaust and call it a day.

lonestarcivic

5+ Year Member
Zach-R said:
i think im gonna throw a resonator and my magnaflow oval muffler on. i wonder if i should bump exhaust size up to 2.5 inch since it has the crush bends? i want this exhaust to perform better than stock but be as quiet as possible.
I have a custom setup like the one your thinking about and it works just as good as my old greddy one. I wish mine would have only cost $70, lol. I paid like $240. With the magnaflow muffler witch was $80, and 2.5" piping. Also, my header flange was bent and was leaking so they had to cut it off and they put a flex coupler one it. That then bolted to the spoon test pipe that replaced my cat. If you get the magnaflow it won't be too quite but not as loud as a normal catback system.