Cylinder plating?

woodly1069

Hey guys I'm sure this will be an easy question for most but since I am a noob I thought I would post this question. I just got around to pulling the head off my 2000 Civic cause it has been loosing antifreeze slowly. No drips, smelled like it was burning it in the combustion chambers, (smell from exhaust). My question is this, the cylinders look as if there is silver coating missing in spots. The bores are still smooth as glass but it looks odd to me. The car never smokes or uses oil so I am not sure. Did Honda use a Nikasil coating or something in the bores from the factory? Is this something to worry about? Head and block look OK and I don't really see where the head gasket would have been leaking internally...thanks for any thoughts!

Please keep in mind that I just pulled the head 15 minutes prior to these photos and what appears to be rust is not, it is totally smooth. This is why I posted the question the way I did about the Nikasil plating...

jameswanser

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok, yeah those pics are deceiving. It totally looked like rust. I'm not aware of any special coating used from the factory, should just be iron sleeves