D series swap question

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
Anything can be achived with the right money! One is OBD0 and the other is OBD2!

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It would be a complete pain in the ass not with the cash due to vast obd difference, difference in subframes, the fact that the d17 is very different from other D's etc. Switch to a d16z6, much better and easier plus you'll be obd1 which is the best for tuning unless you went K

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's not a practical swap and the D17Z1 isn't a great motor anyways for the hassle.

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It would be a complete pain in the ass not with the cash due to vast obd difference, difference in subframes, the fact that the d17 is very different from other D's etc. Switch to a d16z6, much better and easier plus you'll be obd1 which is the best for tuning unless you went K
This.

awright3331

Well because my car is 20 years old and a civic 4 dr sedan(TRIM: LX) and the body and frame have 275,000 miles on them, i was told that a certain amount of torque could cause the frame to twist. Is this true

crash!

Avi, pull your socks up.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I don't think a D series is going to genereate enough torque to cause the frame to twist, if it is prone to twisting...

awright3331

I dont think it is prone to twisting at all because isnt the frame of a car, a 1991 honda atleast made of a high grade material

awright3331

lol a honda twisting it's frame from torque funny one guys .
Thats what i was thinking so any mod i do, isnt gonna matter just as long as the frame is in good shape all mounts are good, and all the suspension is fixed(bad struts, bad tires, good shocks!)

obracer12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the only way a frame would twist on a Honda is if you jumped the car off a ramp.

do a D16Z6 swap, it's straight forward and only a few wires to be ran. OBD1 is where it's at.

awright3331

the only way a frame would twist on a Honda is if you jumped the car off a ramp.

do a D16Z6 swap, it's straight forward and only a few wires to be ran. OBD1 is where it's at.
2 questions
Does that motor mount to the 1.5L 16valve mounts?
And
How much would it be if i where to just get the motor?

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Check your local craigslist. Depends on the Honda market where u are. For instance anything Honda in California is gonna be way more expensive than most states due to the demand. As for torque twisting the frame hell no wont happen. Lastly I'm not certain about the mounts but
Most D series mounts are interchangeable as long as you stick with the cars type or transmission, auto or manual but since your keeping the same transmission that shouldn't be a problem. Just the new engine, ecu, and some wires to wire up a couple things (don't quote me for sure. There may be a few more thugs you need). Google search "d16z6 swap into 91 civic" or "obd1 swap into obd0 civic" something along those lines and you should find a lot of info.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's the on board diagnostics, basically what they use to test emissions with or how you check your check engine light code.

yellowbone12

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its going to be hard to do but if thats what you want to do, do it!!! D16z is easier to do but i would love to see a D17 swapped in a EE or EF