anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
what is the code of the stock 5spd tranny in my ej8? also, anyone know this tranny's gear ratios and final drive? i'm wondering how similar it is to the L3 tranny (the one mated to the d16z6... not sure if that is the correct tranny code though)..

thanks

burntaxis

burnt axis
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
From the service manual:

The transmission code is S40
1st gear: 3.250
2nd gear: 1.909
3rd gear: 1.250
4th gear: 0.909
5th gear: 0.702
Reverse: 3.153
final reduction: 4.250

I don't have the manual for the 5th geb civics, but I'd guess that the gearing would be similar since the engines are so similar.

Tommy Pickles

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I believe the D16Z tranny code is S20.

1st gear: 3.250
2nd gear: 1.900
3rd gear: 1.250
4th gear: 0.909
5th gear: 0.750 for Si/Del Sol and 0.702 for EX.
Reverse: 3.153
Final Drive: 4.250

Both are almost the exact same.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the only difference between the z6 and y8 tranny is the z6 has aluminum shift forks and the y8 has slightly stronger steel forks.. othewise, they are exactly the same.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i thought they had different 2nd gears :what: looks like they do according to the figures posted. shoulda known to check the sevice manual, i didn't even think of that :smackself

S40 is a weird code. i figured it'd be one letter, one number. thanks guys you guys got back to me faster than HT :lol:

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah as Handle said, the main difference between the z6 and y8 tranny is the shifter forks. Stronger in the y8 tranny which is usually favored for the sohc autoX cuz harsh downshifting into first wont snap the steel fork.

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
2nd gear ratio differs as well from the looks of it.. but it's so minor it can be disregarded