d15 in a 6th gen.

Bro'sslowdx

It's mine now...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
will the d15 fit on a d16y7 tranny and will the mounting brackets line up? I can get the whoel engine for 300$ and that the cheapest ive been able to find an engine since no one around indiana has a d16....

thanks for the help.

MidnightCivicEX

EK Ferio WIP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
most likely that d15 came out of a 5th gen... therefore its probably an OBD1... i'm not sure what all you have to do to make that work with a 6th gen... but it'll be easier if you can get the ECU with the engine...

and from my understanding, ALMOST all D-series components will work with other D-series components...

(gotta be careful with the ZC DOHC and other D-series SOHC engines)

Bro'sslowdx

It's mine now...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah it is coming out of a 5th gen. Its still in the car. I most likely can get the ecu but i think the car it is in is a automatic. I believe the d16y7 is obd1 as well tho??? correct me if im wrong.

MidnightCivicEX

EK Ferio WIP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no.. the 6th gens are obd2...

pre - 1995 = obd1

1996 - current = obd2

Bro'sslowdx

It's mine now...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
update: well the d16z6 can fit in the si in the 5th gen so i think the only problems i am running into now are if i will need to get new brackets for mounting it, if it will bolt to the tranny, and im not gunna be able to look for an ECU until i know what the whole engine code is.

And another question would be, if i were to want vtec, could i swap my y8 head over? i just installed it last winter on my y7 and i really dont want to get rid of it.

Hopefully i can buily up my y7 while the new engine is in there. Not planning any major mods but i want a reliable engine with the y8 head on it again.

MidnightCivicEX

EK Ferio WIP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok... wait im confused... what engines are you working with? a d16z6 and a y7 with a y8 head?

Bro'sslowdx

It's mine now...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the engine im looking to buy is a d15 something he told me. Another member believed it to be a d15b7 out of a dx since it had no sunroof on a 5th gen. I currently have a y7 with a y8 head with the stock y7 ECU still tho. I was planning on either buying a y7 or y8 engine to replace it, or buy the d15 and let that motor run until i can manage to rebuild or buy a new d16 motor.

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes 6th gen trannys will fit in 5th gens. Im currently running the d16z6 tranny on my d15b and it works fine. Nothing had to be modified. The d16z6 also has a slightly shorter final drive then the d16y8 tranny. I know thats not what your using i just figured id give you an example