d15b and d16y8 confusion

ekblack97

5+ Year Member
Hey Guys sorry to bring this out again. Im changing my engine next two weeks i decided to get a D16y8 but the japanese store that im buying the engine told me that they are not selling y8 anymore cause its the same engine as D15b and much better cause its directly from japan and they have a d15b vtech model 96-00 engines w/c i think belongs to 6th gen, and he told me that y8 is only issued in the u.s and canada so what do you think i confusion need some inputs!

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
pm'ed

Y8's are better, newer, have more miles due to where they're sold (US/Canada), larger displacement....

D15B's are older engines, less displacement, lower miles, come from Japan, and IMO, I wouldnt downgrade to it.

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would rather have a D16Z6... fewer sensors to worry about, makes the same power, and its got the best flowing cylinder head of the single cams.

but thats just my 2 cents

ekblack97

5+ Year Member
Thanks guys for the inputs, i really want the y8 read a lot of good reviews on it but the thing is even i find a engine that is y8 im not sure if it has a low kilo on it cause its been issued in canada or u.s it might be over used engine unlike d15b its direct from japan and definitely low kilometer, beside i dont have the time and knowledge to rebuilt my y7 engine!

Docta2002

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you realy dont have time/knowledge/money to build an engine, get the D15 then cause its most likely gonna be lower miles compared to the y8

Bro'sslowdx

It's mine now...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
tough its a downgrade for an ek right?
Yes its more of a downgrade. Im swapping one into my car right now though since I cant find any d16 around my area and dont have the money to ship one to me. So its makes a great engine instead of no engine but ill be buying another d16 or completely rebuild my old one.

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
pm'ed

Y8's are better, newer, have more miles due to where they're sold (US/Canada), larger displacement....

D15B's are older engines, less displacement, lower miles, come from Japan, and IMO, I wouldnt downgrade to it.
This is incorrect actually.
Speaking from experience they are def not a downgrade nor are they older.
Dont give out info if your not sure.
They had an obd2 d15b that has completely different internals amd head casting which i had and it was a huge upgrade over the shitty d16y8 that was originally in my car. Maybe i just knew how to drive but i could pull on regular single cams all day long where as with the y8 i couldnt. I could even keep door to door with some si's.
Unless youve had one you wouldnt know that these motors have great top end and also have the potential to get 40-45mpgs if tuned properly.
No y8 is gonna get you that kinda mileage.
Not to mention they also put out more hp out of a smaller displacement motor.

tough its a downgrade for an ek right?
no its not actually. These motors came in TRUE EK's
Our cars are not EK's
There Ej's
The EK3's came with this motor and well if you havent made your choice yet i would suggest getting this motor. Speaking from experience i loved it and highly recommend it. The only reason i got rid of it is because i wanted something a little faster and had a hell of a deal on piecing together an ls/vtec

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This is incorrect actually.
Speaking from experience they are def not a downgrade nor are they older.
Dont give out info if your not sure.
They had an obd2 d15b that has completely different internals amd head casting which i had and it was a huge upgrade over the shitty d16y8 that was originally in my car. Maybe i just knew how to drive but i could pull on regular single cams all day long where as with the y8 i couldnt. I could even keep door to door with some si's.
Unless youve had one you wouldnt know that these motors have great top end and also have the potential to get 40-45mpgs if tuned properly.
No y8 is gonna get you that kinda mileage.
Not to mention they also put out more hp out of a smaller displacement motor.

no its not actually. These motors came in TRUE EK's
Our cars are not EK's
There Ej's
The EK3's came with this motor and well if you havent made your choice yet i would suggest getting this motor. Speaking from experience i loved it and highly recommend it. The only reason i got rid of it is because i wanted something a little faster and had a hell of a deal on piecing together an ls/vtec
true...d15b7 makes 130hp....y8 makes 127

JosephColy

5+ Year Member
if it matters to you, you could hone the block a whole . 1 of a liter and still have a 1.6