d15b vtec engine swap

ekblack97

5+ Year Member
What do i need for a d15b vtech swap, i have a d16y7 engine unfortunately i blew it and i don't have the time and knowledge to rebuilt it so i decide to get a d15b vtech i just wana know a bit what need to be done or change to my car so i could check if the mechanic is doing the right thing?

chadi

chuatZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
why not swap in a Y8.. why go to a smaller engine>/??

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=vtech << theres ur vtech
because the d15b is cooler!

youll need to swap over the injectors and distributor over from your motor.. and youll need to either re-wire the missing components, or get an engine wire set from a d16y8.. you need a p28 or p08 ecu.. theres an issue with the p28 and oil pressure switch though i believe.. something i dont have time to look up right now. but its a pretty straight swap

Bro'sslowdx

It's mine now...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my d15b vtech:

lol and yes its actually a d15 and its vtech!!!

But anyway, is it JDM 3 stage vtec or mini me swap? if its jdm, you are going to need to swap your car to OBD1 which you will need a new harness to plug everything in.... theres other things needed but i totally cant think right now

spoon egg

Teeth Doctor
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If you could find a good Y8, it would be better. Straight swap, no headaches or re-wiring like the d15b. You just have to wire vtec in I believe.

momoxsparco558

That D series Guy
5+ Year Member
i agree, go with the y8, you can find them for $100. I have an extra one, but 2 valve seals are bad :(. Um, get p28 ecu (you will need it chiped and tuned...wel its not a need, but you shoud do it so its done right) And obd 0 to obd 1 conversion harness. Also use the d15 harness, my experience has been better with that one, but thats jest me.

spoon egg

Teeth Doctor
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i agree, go with the y8, you can find them for $100. I have an extra one, but 2 valve seals are bad :(. Um, get p28 ecu (you will need it chiped and tuned...wel its not a need, but you shoud do it so its done right) And obd 0 to obd 1 conversion harness. Also use the d15 harness, my experience has been better with that one, but thats jest me.
He needs the obd 0 to obd 1 conversion harness because why? I'm just trying to say that since his car is obd2 i presume, since it's in the 6th gen forum; to just get the Y8 because it is obd2 and will go in with no problems. Mine as well run the obd2 Y8 ecu to keep everything obd2 status, then upgrade to chipped obd1 when you get more funds. That's just my opinion though.

ekblack97

5+ Year Member
Thanks for the inputs guys but i think i'll be getting the d15b vtech 96-00 engine model i just read the thread of 00 coupe ek3 that there is a d15b stage 3 vtech that is obd2 i believe that's the engine that the japanese shop is selling me. so if its true that it is obd2 i dont need the obd1 conversion. Watcha think?

momoxsparco558

That D series Guy
5+ Year Member
My bad, i meant obd conversion from obd2 to obd 1. lol And i agree. Keep evertthing obd2 till you got $$$$$ to switch to obd1 ;)

ekblack97

5+ Year Member
yeah probably i'll be using the d15 for like 2yrs max till i save to buy a b18 engine just need to maintain well the body spcl im in canada prone to rust!

momoxsparco558

That D series Guy
5+ Year Member
Best of luck. Im a d series guy myself lol But everyone has their thing. Rust is no problem as long as you keep on top of it! =)

ekblack97

5+ Year Member
thanks, so i need to change my ecu right one guy is selling a P28-A52 ECU with a OBDIIA to OBDI jumper harness would that work on my car and what does it do sorry i really don't know alot about engines?

momoxsparco558

That D series Guy
5+ Year Member
yup, p28 with obd2 to obd1 harness. CHECK CODE ONE ECU to make sure it is a p28. How much is he asking for the setup (ecu and conversion harness)?

ekblack97

5+ Year Member
just saw it on the classifieds i think from lopez619 dont not sure if it is still available anyways heres the code 37820-p28a-52761-336465 AWN, whats does it do to the engine? selling for 100

demarcuspz

5+ Year Member
im thinking about swapping my d16y7 with the jdm d15b caz it pulls harder and is relitivly cheap, plus VTEC!!!! then ima boost the hell out of it haha rapage