d15b with p28

gusunit

5+ Year Member
I just got my p28 yesterday and i installed it and damn i love the vtec. The only problem is that it engages at 6000 and redlines at 8000. is this bad for my motor?

codyllee

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
need more info on your setup.

gusunit

5+ Year Member
well i have the d15b engine, d16y8 manifold, headers, catback exhaust, intake, stage 1 clutch. soon to be turbo just waiting for my head to arrive. just messing around with n/a for a bit.

codyllee

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
okay, so are you adjusting the ignition and fuel maps as well as vtec settings and such? Im assuming this a chipped ecu your talking about. 8,000 rpm on your setup is not too safe

93turbo16

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for starters.. move vtec down to around 4800 and put the rev limit at 7500.

codyllee

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thats good that you are getting hands-on experience, do you have the rest of the equipment needed to tune yourself?

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah just make sure your not revving that single cam to 8k, more like 7.2-7.5k at most.

snoob

9k RPM and 1+ Lateral G
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
8k is fine... if you plan on replacing your motor in a year. 7.5k is straight or throw a valvetrain and headstuds and it and 8k away.

the d15b <3's 8k w/ headstuds and aftermarket valve springs and ti retainers

Coutts

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
8k is fine... if you plan on replacing your motor in a year. 7.5k is straight or throw a valvetrain and headstuds and it and 8k away.

the d15b <3's 8k w/ headstuds and aftermarket valve springs and ti retainers
8k on a stock motor will kill it right away. no way in hell that valvetrain can keep up at that speed, same with the oilpump, and those bearings will spin pretty quick too. have fun blowing your motor up doing this.

gusunit

5+ Year Member
damn i love all this info thanks a lot. well the funny thing is that the ecu was tuned for a gsr motor. i dunno how that happened i told him d15b but he re-tuned it and i took your advice on lowering it to 7200. thanks guys.

tunerfreak87

i like snails.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeah because d15b's make power to 8 grand lol. the cams prolly stop making power before 7k

dagajdm

5+ Year Member
8k on a stock motor will kill it right away. no way in hell that valvetrain can keep up at that speed, same with the oilpump, and those bearings will spin pretty quick too. have fun blowing your motor up doing this.
yea last time i reved my z6 to 8k it blew up lol..... im glad u got it set at 7200 now...