d15b7>>d16y8 swap questions

madrain

noobish
5+ Year Member
I have a chance to purchase a d16y8 from top to bottom cold air intake>> IM >> Engine>> Tranny>> and after market exhaust system header to muffler.
Question
I have a 95 civic dx sedan with a d15b7.How hard/easy will this be to swap plus any things I need to know to do this?

they are both maual tranny

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You need the engine and ecu and that's it. The rest should bolt up but, as for the y8. I'm not sure if that's vtec, if it is; it's not hard to wire up. The header should bolt up, but as for the exhuast. It depends where it's from.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
jason_guy_yeah said:
You need the engine and ecu and that's it. The rest should bolt up but, as for the y8. I'm not sure if that's vtec, if it is; it's not hard to wire up. The header should bolt up, but as for the exhuast. It depends where it's from.
He should use the y8 tranny because it is better then the tranny he has now.

Everything will bolt up fine, you will need to wire up for vtec, also your car is obd1 and the motor you are putting in is obd2 so it would be easier to use a jumper harness however you still need different injector plugs, alt plug and dizzy plug because they are different.

Or all d-series are the same so take your injectors, dizzy, alt off your old motor and swap that onto the y8. This way you can still stay obd1 and just use a p28 ecu instead of the y8 ecu.

There are many different routes to getting the motor running with out cel and running properly.

Racon93

CCHB#38
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah the d16y8 is v-tec. if im not mistaken the d16y8 is obd2 and your civic is obd1 so youll have to convert it.

edit: deatained civic ya beat me to it. haha

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
DetainedCivic said:
He should use the y8 tranny because it is better then the tranny he has now.

Everything will bolt up fine, you will need to wire up for vtec, also your car is obd1 and the motor you are putting in is obd2 so it would be easier to use a jumper harness however you still need different injector plugs, alt plug and dizzy plug because they are different.

Or all d-series are the same so take your injectors, dizzy, alt off your old motor and swap that onto the y8. This way you can still stay obd1 and just use a p28 ecu instead of the y8 ecu.

There are many different routes to getting the motor running with out cel and running properly.

That's right, I forgot it obd2.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
madrain said:
I need to switch injectors even if I have the TB and IM from the d16y8?
The only reason you are switching injectors is because your OBD1 harness will not connect to the obd2 injector plugs. Now if you obd2 injector clips with pigtails and now how to wire you can cut off your obd1 inj. plugs and wire in the obd2 plugs. But its easier since you already have them to swap the obd1 plugs on the y8 motor. You can have the whole swap done in half a day.

I can swap a b-series into a chassis in 4hrs, being I don't have to search for tools and run into problems.

Your swap is really simple and anymore questions feel free to ask.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
DetainedCivic said:
The only reason you are switching injectors is because your OBD1 harness will not connect to the obd2 injector plugs. Now if you obd2 injector clips with pigtails and now how to wire you can cut off your obd1 inj. plugs and wire in the obd2 plugs. But its easier since you already have them to swap the obd1 plugs on the y8 motor. You can have the whole swap done in half a day.

I can swap a b-series into a chassis in 4hrs, being I don't have to search for tools and run into problems.

Your swap is really simple and anymore questions feel free to ask.

Listen to this guy, Who has the brilliant idea that just b/c you are putting an obd2 motor in a car that you have to make the car obd2. It is stupid. I had a y8 in my car. The only difference is:
-The d16y8 has a knock sensor-ignore it
-The d16y8 has a different type intake air temp sensor that mounts to the intake, yours mounts in the intake manifold runner-you must get the sensor and plug and extend these wires or tap into the y8 manifold. Both routes are easy but why interrupt the flow, I just went with the IAT sensor route.
-**Use a p28 ecu**
-Use your factory d15 injectors b/c they have the same flow rate.
-As for the distributor, you could either buy an adaptor plug and use the y8 one. Cut the old plug off and re-solder the other one on. There is a how-to on this but the wires are wrong on it. I will post the correct ones on the thread.You could buy a d16z6 distributor and use it(probably easiest)
-You must wire vtec(easy and you could do this yourself. Just running a wire from a plug to a pinout-simple

That is about all there is to putting a y8 into a 5th gen.

madrain

noobish
5+ Year Member
Gotcha! OBD plug won't fit thats why switch of injectors.

now why won't distributor cap work If get the one with the y8?

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
madrain said:
Gotcha! OBD plug won't fit thats why switch of injectors.

now why won't distributor cap work If get the one with the y8?
Y8 distributor is different than the d15 one, so is the d16z6 one.

madrain

noobish
5+ Year Member
yes I understand but when I purchase this y8 I will get the cap thats on it aswell... or will this not work.

madrain

noobish
5+ Year Member
forgot to mention THANK YOU for all the info! I'm learning alot from you guys.

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
It is better than a "go search" reply b/c you kinda are searching.

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
no, just some people only reply to a threads questions by telling them to go search for the answer somewhere else, like the effort to type in "go search" was somewhat way easier to type than the answer.

madrain

noobish
5+ Year Member
ahh I see, understood.

soo about the distributor? Will that work if I just leave the one thats on the y8. because the engine I'm buying is fully intact.

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Plug style is different on the d16y8 which has 1 big plug compared to the one you have now which has 2 smaller plugs.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
12.8:1 Ls/vtec said:
Listen to this guy, Who has the brilliant idea that just b/c you are putting an obd2 motor in a car that you have to make the car obd2. It is stupid. I had a y8 in my car. The only difference is:
-The d16y8 has a knock sensor-ignore it
-The d16y8 has a different type intake air temp sensor that mounts to the intake, yours mounts in the intake manifold runner-you must get the sensor and plug and extend these wires or tap into the y8 manifold. Both routes are easy but why interrupt the flow, I just went with the IAT sensor route.
-**Use a p28 ecu**
-Use your factory d15 injectors b/c they have the same flow rate.
-As for the distributor, you could either buy an adaptor plug and use the y8 one. Cut the old plug off and re-solder the other one on. There is a how-to on this but the wires are wrong on it. I will post the correct ones on the thread.You could buy a d16z6 distributor and use it(probably easiest)
-You must wire vtec(easy and you could do this yourself. Just running a wire from a plug to a pinout-simple

That is about all there is to putting a y8 into a 5th gen.
I think you should watch what you are saying.

I said there are many options one he can swap injectors to keep his obd1 injectors and not rewire his harness or if he has obd2 connectors to wire them into his harness and keep the obd2 injectors. But I also said since he already has obd1 injectors to use those.

Thanks try again.

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
I was actually telling him to listen to you and then scolding other replys to the thread but whatever.

DetainedCivic

I haz SR20
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
12.8:1 Ls/vtec said:
I was actually telling him to listen to you and then scolding other replys to the thread but whatever.
See I thought that but then I wasn't sure, so my fault. :D