d15b7 No compression.....why???

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I just recently bought a 92 eg8 sedan, d15b7 obviously non vtec......It wouldn't start so I figured i'd buy it with the intention of fixing it and selling it...It was cheap so I couldn't pass up the opportunity...

After running test and whatnot, I figured out it had no compression (should've known by the sound after turning the engine).....
All the valves in the head are bent out of shape. I'm going to take the head to a machine shop and have it partially rebuilt...
What would cause the valves to bend out of shape??? thanx ahead for any info/suggestions...

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'd have to say something with timing. Maybe the belt slipped and beat all the valves up. If I was you, I'd just use a z6 head on that so you can have vtec :cool:

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'd have to say something with timing. Maybe the belt slipped and beat all the valves up. If I was you, I'd just use a z6 head on that so you can have vtec :cool:
the only reason i don't wanna put a vtec head on it is because i don't wanna invest more money in it than i have to....most likely, some old guy is gonna buy it for his daughter going to college or something, not even knowing what vtec is lol.....

and yea, i could see how timing would affect that but just don't see how it would've happened in this car coz the belt is still good......thanx

joegould29

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can find A Z6 head for about the price ur gunna but into having the head redone if not cheaper. but its up to you. weather you want it all stock or not.I say go with the Z6 head.

Del_Slo

5+ Year Member
agreed on the z6.
it may be an old man who doesnt know but a better runnin d15b7 sells for more. ;)

psychotic_civic

Yep. All you will need to do is have an oil supply line ran to the head for vtec, which can easily be done by goin to home depot and gettin a "T" to install between the block and the oil pressure sensor

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the advice.....Honestly, i'm looking to keep the engine stock. Adding a vtec head would mean swapping computers etc etc......In turn it would be more expensive than just having the b7 partially rebuilt, partly because i have connections at a shop....

I just would really wanna kno how the valves got bent if the timing belt is in good shape?

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Thanks for the advice.....Honestly, i'm looking to keep the engine stock. Adding a vtec head would mean swapping computers etc etc......In turn it would be more expensive than just having the b7 partially rebuilt, partly because i have connections at a shop....

I just would really wanna kno how the valves got bent if the timing belt is in good shape?
I would think that the tensioner might have failed so the belt can skip teeth on the gears or the valves might have floated at high speeds when it was running before.

Del_Slo

5+ Year Member
im just saying its possible i wouldn't take it as thats what they did but does the belt look newish?

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
^^not really, looks like its been on for a while though it's not the factory belt but according to the previous owner this just happened recently but the belt looks like maybe its at least 75xxx miles old....
I'm gonna change it once i get the head rebuilt...
The car has 230,xxx on it.....

It just seems kinda awkward for some reason.....Thanx again...

253eg

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Yep. All you will need to do is have an oil supply line ran to the head for vtec, which can easily be done by goin to home depot and gettin a "T" to install between the block and the oil pressure sensor
Or just pull the pin out that's in the block and have the oil squirt for vtec.

K.O.S_88

K.O.S
5+ Year Member
looks like the guy put a belt on it once it snapped to sell it knowing what was wrong with it but not saying anything

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
oh well, i only bought it coz it was cheap and now im selling it as is to a mechanic, making a little profit off it not much......

if he doesn't come through then i'll probably end up rebuilding the head.....and probably selling it

thanx for the comments guys

K.O.S_88

K.O.S
5+ Year Member
oh well, i only bought it coz it was cheap and now im selling it as is to a mechanic, making a little profit off it not much......

if he doesn't come through then i'll probably end up rebuilding the head.....and probably selling it

thanx for the comments guys
o i know i just figured that was what the seller probly did but must be good buy could use for alot or parts or likeu said rebiuld and sell for like 2000