D15B7 tapping and smoking

Loaf31

SOHC Sedan Swag
So, here's the skinny.
93' civic sedan, bought in 1993, then let to sit in the driveway un-started for 7 years. When we start working on it, we find a bunch of problems. new fuel pump, new injectors, new fuel pump main relay, new fuel regulator, and it starts fine. Then wouldn't start. Turns out it needed a new ignition control module. Now she runs fine, but ever since we first started it, it had a tapping noise. I personally just think it needs a valve adjustment. But, it also spews out a good amount of white smoke when I rev past 2300 RPMS. We thought it was a blown head gasket, so we got some Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealer and followed the instructions on that. Let it run for 50 mins, didn't over-heat or anything. But, I'm not sure if it worked. At idle, the smoke went away, but when I rev at all, it comes back. Help? The tapping is still there as well. I think
I need a valve adjustment for that. Any help is appreciated.

Loaf31

SOHC Sedan Swag
And a compression test showed that all the cylinders get to around 85. Do you guys think it's a BHG, or something else. it could possibly be from the seafoam that we put in the new oil to flush out all the gunk, or maybe just carbon buildup from the engine sitting. Tell me what you guys think, cause I'm stumped.

Loaf31

SOHC Sedan Swag
it worked on my sister's 96 odyssey and has been running good for 3k miles since.

RonJ

Banned
Treatments like that will destroy the engine sooner or later. Flush that crap out of the engine and then fix the blown head gasket the right way.

RonJ

Banned
Your compression test results do not rule out a blown head gasket. White smoke in the exhaust, on the other hand, indicates coolant burning in the cylinders - blown head gasket or cracked block.

Loaf31

SOHC Sedan Swag
I'm not sure how the block would be cracked though. Cause' it was never driven hard or anything like that. To get it drive-able, I need to replace the power steering rack. Should I do that and drive on the potentially blown HG, or change it now, and then do the power steering rack?

Loaf31

SOHC Sedan Swag
Is it possible that it may be some residue from the
new exhaust or maybe the seafoam that we put in the oil or maybe the header wrap burning off? My brother thinks it may be carbon residue in the block/head from years of sitting. would any of this cause it to smoke?

Loaf31

SOHC Sedan Swag
I've only backed it out of the driveway. has 160,000 miles on it, but when we started working on it again, it wasn't roadworthy. but's it's idled for 50 mins. Smoke went away at idle, like I said, but if I rev at all, it comes back.

Loaf31

SOHC Sedan Swag
Can't. Don't have power steering. the rack is leaky. Should we replace
the rack, then take it on a test drive with the potential BHG?

Loaf31

SOHC Sedan Swag
Can't hurt to pull the head and take a look, right?
Ok I'll talk to my father and get back to you.

Loaf31

SOHC Sedan Swag
Well, after a long few weeks, we finally removed the head.

Turns out it was definitely a blown head gasket and we're going to get it
rebuilt by a friend. There was almost no gasket left on the block or head.
now my only concern is that we've somehow screwed up the timing.
Luckilly, we remembered to set it to top dead center, so we shold be okay.
Here are more pics.

Also goig to clean up those pistons, but before we do that, we're gonna replace the water pump and timing belt.
And a we all know, that's a b*tch to do. So, wish me luck! also, any input is helpfull.

Wreckless Hype

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Timing is very simple on those. I have never in my life messed with timing belts or any of that. I did my first timing belt on an 04 WRX engine and it's been running very strong for about 4 years now. I was pretty eager to try it on my D15B7 knowing the worst that would happen is I blow an already very worn engine. Long screw driver down the plug tubes helps, your belt tensioner pulley is key, turn the crank with a socket, not by starting it! Also, don't put the distributor on flipped 180 like I might have...

RonJ

Banned
Use a precision straight edge to check whether the head and block mating surfaces are warped before installing the head gasket.

Attachments