D16 timing thrown waaaay off

086head

Registered VIP
Hey guys im back! If you see my threads often enough you know im driving a 93 Cvici ex with a D16z6 SOHC automatic tranny. This is like a S.O.S. like help asap please. I checked my spark plugs yesterday just to see how they were doing and I let one of my buddies kids "help" I let him put my spark plug wires back on and when I went to start my car..it started all right but was out of time like hell. I put all my spark plug wires in the correct order and it refused to start. Got ignition, spark, turn, and half ass crank but it wouldnt start. I had to manualy set the number 1 cylinder on TDC and then I popped off the distributor cap. Where the rotor shoulda been it did a complete flip. Seeing how I didnt have all my tools on me, all I could do was a quick fix, flip the spark plug wires from number 4 to number 1. It started and the choke got stuck like hell. Anyway with some finger work and a lil grease the car -sputa put puted- a mile down the road to my parents place. I cant tell if the belt jumped time or not but its loose. I dont live with my parents and I have till night time TONIGHT to get off there property. Please, quick replys as to the timing from it starting out of firing order.

taluzer45

4 Banger Deluxe
Registered VIP
Man, the wrong fire- order might not have done any thing to the timing! Usually it will sputter but it will just run like complete crap untill fixed.. Did you or the "kid" pick at the timing belt at all?!?

khmernese

you flipped the spark plug wires...? im surprised that worked. sounds like the tensioner might have given out. put your cam to tdc, and the see if the crank pulley lines up with the timing cover marks.
also. your parents hate you or something? lol

086head

Registered VIP
F*ck lol slept in my car last night...we bonded so well x.x Timing belt hasnt been touched since I bought the car but its hella loose. Since its light outside today im going to set it on TDC again and check my marks. When the firing order is in the right, it will not run, but when I do the plug wire swap itl run. I think it jumped a tooth or 2, its loose enough to. No power, no acceleration, almost constant backfire. Khmermese: My partents kicked me out when I was 18, ive been living couch to couch for a year now. Im self teaching myself this to the best of my ability, and its hard. -Still leaning, bear with me

086head

Registered VIP
Timing was thrown off by 2 teeth and the distributor was about fried. New distributor and put it back in time and now it runs great.