D16 Tranny Noise When Clutch Out Replace ISB Already

jermo537

5+ Year Member
Hey fellas! Have a D16 tranny and have the typical noise when the clutch is out, but when clutch pressed in the noise goes away. So i swapped out the input shaft bearing and tossed it back in the car. Still getting the damn noise though. What bearing could still be making noise? Trying to limit down 1 being the culprit because i'd rather not spend 200 bucks on all the bearings if most of them are good. Think the countershaft one could be making noise? Or the one on top of the input shaft? Thanks!

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I've been told that it could be both the ISB or the throw out bearing.. I get mixed results when I look into it too. :roll: My RSX is currently making the same noise, and has been for over a year now. I haven't replaced anything just yet.

jermo537

5+ Year Member
I've been told that it could be both the ISB or the throw out bearing.. I get mixed results when I look into it too. :roll: My RSX is currently making the same noise, and has been for over a year now. I haven't replaced anything just yet.
Well the way you know its a bearing in the tranny or the throw out bearing is if you push the clutch in and the noise goes away, its the bearings inside the tranny. If there is no noise to start, you push the clutch in and it starts making noise, that is the throwout bearing...mine makes noise while idling but when i push the clutch in the noise goes away, that means bearings inside the tranny =/

Restotech

Respected
The input shaft aka (main shaft ) will have more than just one bearing on it. There is one pressed into the backside of the trans case too. But if I were spitting a trans case I would probably replace all the bearings so it would be good for another couple hundred thousand miles.

jermo537

5+ Year Member
The input shaft aka (main shaft ) will have more than just one bearing on it. There is one pressed into the backside of the trans case too. But if I were spitting a trans case I would probably replace all the bearings so it would be good for another couple hundred thousand miles.
I actually already did that bearing attached to the tranny case, I didn't do the one that was at the top of the main shaft...think that one is the one making noise?

A]]Th!ngSound

Aspiring to Boost
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I recently rebuilt my trans and went over everything with a fine-tooth comb, bouncing questions off of Humble Performance when I wasn't sure. That bearing noise could be a result of the too little amount of shimming for the main shaft. Too much shim and it won't seal properly or bind up. There are actual specifications for how flush the bearing sits in the housing as well. All of this can be seen in the picture courtesy of honda-tech user "Honda Bull". Here's a link to his thread on the rebuild (which is easy, just takes time, patience, organization and being very meticulous): http://honda-tech.com/forums/transmission-drivetrain-127/b-series-transmission-teardown-rebuild-tutorial-2443459/