D16A engine?

Leo Delgado

Respected
Hey guys newcomer here,
Just bought a Canadian 1996 civic hatch Ej (I believe) and it's got an odd engine. Marked D16A and only says 16 valve on top. No Honda logo or anything. I've been reading up on modifications and researching engines and I'm not sure whether or not to keep this one or swap it.
My main problem is that I have no idea what my engine is or its specs. Everywhere I've looked (which has been maybe 20 forums) I've gotten mixed answers. Please lend some knowledge and expertise! I'm a rookie with hondas and cars I general too but I'm eager to get into putting in a lot of work.
I know my engine isn't v-tech, but that's about it. I've bought it used and from a mechanic who wasn't the one who modded it.
Thanks!

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
5 minutes of research yielded the following info. Its a JDM engine while the valve cover seems to be off a Malaysian 96-99 Honda City Type-Z. I say "seems" because it looks as if the added "Honda hyper" raised lettering were removed.

Leo Delgado

Respected
5 minutes of research yielded the following info. Its a JDM engine while the valve cover seems to be off a Malaysian 96-99 Honda City Type-Z. I say "seems" because it looks as if the added "Honda hyper" raised lettering were removed.
See I've read about the d16A and that it's JDM but I'm confused because mine looks different from all the ones I've seen in pictures online. No Honda marking or anything. And normally they're vtech but mine isn't

Leo Delgado

Respected
How's the engine running? Any problems?
Runs well. It's VERY loud from the inside. Not sure if it's a combination of parts or the actual engine. Not super fast but fun. Other than the noise I haven't had any problems but the engine light is constantly on and I can't figure out why