d16y7 non vtec turbo? worth it?

disxpnoi

5+ Year Member
hey so is it worth it to turbo a non vtec d16..from what i have been told, it gives u alot of power. this guy who has dat set up is running about 175whp w/ 192lbs torque.. is it worth it? turbo will cost about $1k-$1300 and install is $500...thanks!

www.DynamicRacingPerformance.com

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its worth it if u think of it like if u blow ur motor u can get another one for real cheap...
check out turbod.org or .com i dunno really...but i kno wthey have a forum..:lol:

riciv97

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Its def worth it but run like 7 10 psi on stock interals but then u can build it and turn up the boost.....there is a bunch of people with built interals runnin good power

Vicious

1st gen lover
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well it depends on what your goals are if you want to break the 200hp barrier with a turbod engine safely go with a swap but if you just want for power out of the good old sohc just turbo it. i suggest driving a person who has turbo on thier d series so you can see if that's what you want or not.

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's worth it but you're probably gonna spend more than a grand on it even before installation

deftones0817

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
do that s**t man. I would run 10 psi everyday and buy another non vtec motor and start looking for some forged pistons and rods for cheap used. Then put that motor together as a spare for when the doomsday happens...i might not happen for 6 months or 6 years or 6 days but it happens. Ringlands are only good for so much stock and piston rings can only last so long. But how long is different for everyone. ;)

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^its ls/vtec now? what happened to the gsr?

bmoua

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
naw man..sorrie maybe a y8 but..not y7....but...if i were u just get a swap...running that much hp and tq on a fully built sohc motor?? i dont know if it will last too long...is this going to be a daily driver??

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
having Vtec for turbo is rather pointless. The high lift of the vtec cam is good for boost, but the high duration with overlap is not. So actually it's better to turbo a Y7 if you're going to get all hardcore about it, though I'm sure that nobody with a turbo Y8 is going to complain. You can get away with running an FMU if you keep it 7psi and under, but if you want more than that you need a real tune on stock internals. Grabbing a cheap Y7 block and slowly building it up isn't a bad idea though, and Y7 are damn cheap if you blow one up.