D16Y7: Number of problems | 4 Bad Codes | Possibly Electric

BLK VTi

Apple Bottom Booty = FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
This is the story.

So there was a bad storm Friday afternoon, and my dumbass decides to go ahead for a drive to get ready for Honda Day even though I noticed how dark and bad it was getting outside.

So as I'm driving, the rain begins to come down bad, real bad.

My car is pretty low but it didn't hit me until I saw someone driving down the street in a Nissan and noticed that the water level sat right at there bumper. Now imagine where the water level sat at my bumper.

Storm passes away, weather is back to normal, but unfortunately my car is not.

Check engine light comes on and all of a sudden the needle for my speedometer is fluctuating all over the place. I pull over, stop the car, turn it off and back on again. Same s**t.

Now this is where it gets interesting. That same day I get to my house, I left the car parked in neutral, rev the motor, and the speedometer goes all the way to 140MPH, even though its parked.

From then on, I've had the following problems.

1. Changed the speed sensor and check engine light is still on and speedometer still fluctuates like crazy. (whether driving or parked)

2. When driving on the highway, car will not rev pass 4500 RPM's.

3. Went to Autozone yesterday, used an OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner or w/e the hell its called and came up with the following codes:

CODE 1: P0500 - Veh. Speed sensor A malfunction
CODE 2: P1298 - Manufacturer control fuel air metering
CODE 3: P0135 - 02 Sensor Heater Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
CODE 4: P0141 - 02 Sensor Heater Malfunction (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

Now, codes 1,3 & 4, I understand, but Code 2 I could not figure it out.

Code 1 I think water may have gotten somewhere in the wiring.
3 & 4 is due to a cracked header, with water possibly getting inside.

4. I think I may have an issue with the alternator as well as when I'm either driving or the car is at a complete stop, the lights (interior/exterior) fluctuate as well

5. When I pulled out the speed sensor, I noticed there were bubbles (like soap bubbles) on the end, the gear portion of the sensor. As if the transmission fluid was "sudsy" . I was told that this is not normal.

I know I made this a bit long but any ideas / facts / opinions that can help me with my situation is greatly appreciated.

Not exactly sure what else can be done and my last resort would be to take it to a professional for better assistance.

Any info is helpful info.

Thanks

Civic Stud

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think you may have a short in the engine wiring harness that runs underneath and behind the intake manifold. There is a Tech Bulletin on this for 96-00 civics with a SOHC engine. The harness rubs on the manifold bracket and eventually shorts out. When that happens, the VSS goes crazy, the alternator fuse blows, lights flicker and o2 sensor throws a code. That happened to us.

I'll try to find that T-B later unless someone else posts it for you in the meantime.

Did the alternator fuse (I think its number 15 under the dash) blow?

BLK VTi

Apple Bottom Booty = FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think you may have a short in the engine wiring harness that runs underneath and behind the intake manifold. There is a Tech Bulletin on this for 96-00 civics with a SOHC engine. The harness rubs on the manifold bracket and eventually shorts out. When that happens, the VSS goes crazy, the alternator fuse blows, lights flicker and o2 sensor throws a code. That happened to us.

I'll try to find that T-B later unless someone else posts it for you in the meantime.

Did the alternator fuse (I think its number 15 under the dash) blow?
Yea!

It did!

My friend helped me take it out. He replaced it with the spare fuse.

Black&Mild

5+ Year Member
Just some possible ideas, check the main relay under the pass/driver side- google this if you want for more information and known problems. I've heard horror stories of the number 15 fuse as well, it's a common problem in 6th gens as far as I'm aware of. Confirmed with some of the same symptoms you are describing (fluctuating speedometer tweaking).

"4. I think I may have an issue with the alternator as well as when I'm either driving or the car is at a complete stop, the lights (interior/exterior) fluctuate as well"

Why are you assuming it's the alternator? Does the car start still? If the cars not starting at all and you see flickering lights and having problems on the electric side, try changing the battery fuse (big one 80A) in the fuse box under the hood where the 15 was.

Were you in any kind of accident or did you hit a big bump when this stuff started giving you trouble? I'm thinkin something knocked loose the ground or wires which took out the sensors all at once. Lemme know and I'll do a bit more research for you.

BLK VTi

Apple Bottom Booty = FTW
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Thanks Man

I really, really appreciate it

Tomorrow when I come back from work I'm going to go at it

Just some possible ideas, check the main relay under the pass/driver side- google this if you want for more information and known problems. I've heard horror stories of the number 15 fuse as well, it's a common problem in 6th gens as far as I'm aware of. Confirmed with some of the same symptoms you are describing (fluctuating speedometer tweaking).

"4. I think I may have an issue with the alternator as well as when I'm either driving or the car is at a complete stop, the lights (interior/exterior) fluctuate as well"

Why are you assuming it's the alternator? Does the car start still? If the cars not starting at all and you see flickering lights and having problems on the electric side, try changing the battery fuse (big one 80A) in the fuse box under the hood where the 15 was.

Were you in any kind of accident or did you hit a big bump when this stuff started giving you trouble? I'm thinkin something knocked loose the ground or wires which took out the sensors all at once. Lemme know and I'll do a bit more research for you.
You do have a point

The car starts with no issues/problems whatsoever

I was only assuming the alternator due to the fact that the lights kept fluctuation with the engine as well so I figured water may have gotten into the alternator

I wasn't involved in any accident but the big bump could be a possibility since the visibility of the roads were not that great and for the fact that I'm in NY, which automatically equals bad/damaged roads.

Thanks guys for the help

The minute I get home tomorrow, I'm giving it a shot.

daveimme

5+ Year Member
Gee, seems fuse 15 IS a nightmare! my dash lights are pulsing, too.....fuse blows each time i change it while checking each device on that fuse (vss, alt, eld, etc) and it blows each time. I had my buddy/mechanic check the wiring harness underneath (had the tsb with me, too) but he could not locate one that looked like the picture (??).

I'm taking mine to shop tomorrow morning and will post what they tell me; I got a feeling this will help quite a few others! It was FRUSTRATING to say the least trying to track this one down, and since we have a $100 coupon from that dealership (we bought an 08 CRV), it won't actually cost me for the diagnosis.

Wish me luck! .