D16y7 problems with TACH

hondamaster719

Registered VIP
So my check engine came on today and popped a code for the tdc sensor.. went to denver and the tach bounced around all the way there and back. The motor hessitates and sputters on acceleration from stoplights also.. I need help bad. What would cause this!!??!

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If your tdc sensor is fouled your ecu isn't sending correct ignition signals because its not reading what position your crank is in. Change the sensor and clear the codes before driving again, if the problem persists and continues to throw another cel pull the code and diagnose it.

hondamaster719

Registered VIP
Wheres the best place to find a new sensor? I heard just cleaning it is the best bet to fixing the problem instead of spending 150 at auto stores...

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Try cleaning it with brake cleaner and a stiff brush and see what happens. If it persists you'll need to check for continuity with an ohmmeter, there should be no continuity. If there is its deffective and will need to be replaced.

hondamaster719

Registered VIP
I don't have a ohmmeter. Are they cheap and how do I test it. I'll try cleaning it first but where is it located?

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can go to a salvage yard to pull a replacement, but it may not last since its used, if you replace it go ahead and buy new.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
It's located in your distributor, the harness connection is mounted directly behind it beside the fuel rail.

hondamaster719

Registered VIP
Any links with pics? Any tips for marking the distr. Before taking it off? Sorry. My first time doing this.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I'd just invest in a Haynes manual for the 96-00 civic, or google the info. It's hard to show you unless I were there lol.

96romaCX

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sure man whatever works! =) good luck with the repairs, sorry I couldn't be any more help.