D16Y7 sporadicly runs rough/misfire, no code

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
So I've got a 98 Civic LX, 5spd Y7 car that is my daily driver... I've done the fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor all this year... I've also run fuel injector cleaner through it...

Problem: When I drive the car, and this is more frequent in the rain, it will do it once after I fire it up and then not at all the rest of the time it stays running.... The car will run rough sporadically, or just feel and sound like it's losing spark, for which it will do for probably 5-seconds, and then it goes away and all the power in the world comes back. I've noticed when it happens if I push the clutch in and take the load away from the engine while it's doing it, it's not nearly as severe - which to me makes me think that it's losing power. Also, my fuel mileage is below 30mpg, more around 25mpg as of late doing 70mph on the highway approx. 26 miles 5 days a week.

I cannot figure it out. Any ideas???

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Almost sounds like a bad seal somewhere in the ignition system. Double check your dizzy to make sure theres no water in there, make sure your plug wires arent touching each other, and make sure you gaped your plugs correctly.

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
Still does it, lol. I've done so much with this thing. Fuel mileage has returned, but still has a hiccup when it's cold....

RonJ

Banned
Any CEL codes? What's the current city/hwy mileage?

What brand/type plugs, wires, cap, and rotor did you install? I recommend OEM plug wires and standard NGK plugs.

Have you checked the ignition timing with a timing gun and service connector jumped?

Any noticeable problems with the charging system or battery?

cgpEJ6

noob
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Mine does it too and I have no clue, how is your idle

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
Starting/Charging system are awesome.

Plugs & Wires are from CarQuest, the plug wires are carquest inhouse brand and the plugs, hell, I don't remember.

Idle is fine ----- when it's warm.

No CEL/codes.

I do have a slight exhaust leak (gasket that needs changed) but not enough of one where it's throwing a code for the O2 sensor....

Fuel mileage as of late has been between 30-34mpg, all highway, depending on weather and traffic.

It doesn't get much highway use.

Idle is fine, when warm. When it's cold idle drops way low once, maybe twice --- and when it warms up the idle stays perfect.

I haven't checked timing yet.

RonJ

Banned
Civics don't like generic plug wires and also do best with standard NGK plugs. This is where I would start. Also check the ignition timing.

Also try this night time test:

In the dark, open the hood with the engine idling. Do you see any small sparks jumping from the plug wires or distributor cap. If not, start misting the plug wires and cap with water from a spray bottle. Do you now see any sparks.

Where is the exhaust leak?

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
Civics don't like generic plug wires and also do best with standard NGK plugs. This is where I would start. Also check the ignition timing.

Also try this night time test:

In the dark, open the hood with the engine idling. Do you see any small sparks jumping from the plug wires or distributor cap. If not, start misting the plug wires and cap with water from a spray bottle. Do you now see any sparks.

Where is the exhaust leak?
Done the night time test, numerous times.

The's got a 2-piece longtube header (Some would call it a 4-2-1 I guess), and it's the gasket mating the upper to the lower portion. Not major by any means, just an annoyance. Way better than the cracked manifold that was on it, LOL.

RonJ

Banned
The's got a 2-piece longtube header (Some would call it a 4-2-1 I guess), and it's the gasket mating the upper to the lower portion. Not major by any means, just an annoyance. Way better than the cracked manifold that was on it, LOL.
How far from and upstream or downstream of the primary O2 sensor?

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
uhmm... Well, the gasket is in front of the block and the O2 sensor is behind the motor down low.

I'm probably going to slap some NGK's in her this weekend.

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Civics don't like generic plug wires and also do best with standard NGK plugs.
Not 100% true. I have Autolite plug wires on mine, and I have zero spark/ignition issues...

RonJ

Banned
Your exhaust leak will never throw an O2 sensor code, though the leak is likely causing the engine to run rich. Fixing the exhaust leak should increase your gas mileage and also potentially prevent destruction of your cat. While this is separate from your hesitation/misfire problem, I'd repair the leak ASAP.

RonJ

Banned
Not 100% true. I have Autolite plug wires on mine, and I have zero spark/ignition issues...
I presume that some aftermarket plug wires work fine. [Edit] Is Autolite the same as Carquest? I still recommend OEM as I know they will work well and last.

AllTracCelica

300whp / 230torque
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I had this same problem on my D16Y8 I went ignitions wires fuel pump o2 sensor the whole nine yards and never found the problem the problem was i had a valve not sticking out. I noticed after they rebuilt the head that the little square on your cluster that says maintence required was barely orange trying to tell me but no check engine light at all. Do compression leak down test. Get kit from harbor freight $50 to find it valves are stuck. I wished i would of done this before wasting alot of money.

AllTracCelica

300whp / 230torque
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
One more thing neat trick is take piece paper and put over exaust pipe if it kinda pops little bit like its missing and sucks the paper back not constantly pushing forward just idling than you could also have stuck valve bad seat you name it. This is your most likely issue.

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
I am fairly positive it's not a valve. About 99% so. But anything is possible I guess. NGK plugs are only $2.08/ea at my cost soooo it's not like it's a huge investment.

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
Okay, the best way to describe the issue...

While accelerating normally, the motor kind of falls on it's face between 2000-3500rpms, and then all of a sudden, it's as though you achieved boost and all the power comes back.. It will do it once or twice when you first drive it after turning it on... Randomly though, I will say I do notice it more when its cold and wet... that's why I think ignition system.

It's as though the throttle cable is being snagged on something and then it snaps back to where it should be, or maybe a spring is acting up like it would on a carb...

hmmmm..

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
Driving in today I thought of the best way to describe it -----

It ALMOST feels like a 2-step/rev limiter.....

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
starting to have this issue as well. bump for more clues and info.

quick86

Uhh.... What?
5+ Year Member
NGK plugs, installed. Haven't been able to drive it much since I just did it 2 hours ago...