D16y7 to y8? and ECU question

Dice316

I have a 99 D16y7 in my 93 civic i just got it bak from a "repair" at the honda dealer, they told me when the computer gets too hot it acts up to maybe have it replaced. (u'd think for $540 they'd say i have the wrong ecu)

i have a P07 ecu which i undertand is for a D15 from a 95 VX stil works fine, but according to wikipedia i need a P2E ecu for the y7 which i found on ebay for a lil under $100 HOWEVER, i plan on later on TRYING to making my D16y7 (107hp) into a D16y8 (127hp) i think the main diff is the y8 has vtec and uses a P2P ecu (a lil under $100) so....to make a D16y7 into a D16y8 is ALL i need a y8 block and a y8 ecu (P2P) ???
if so it sounds more wroth it to just wait till im ready to upgade and get a y8 ecu instead of spenidng the same $ n getting a ecu for the y7 for a short time...

PLEASE IF ANYONE KNOWS :

1. is it possible to turn a D16y7 into a D16y8?
2. is the way im saying above how to?
3. if not any idea how to or where i can find out how to?
and 4. will a P2E AND/OR P2P ecu directly fit where my P07 ecu is now? (its on my passenger side floor i can see the harness n everyting) or would i have to buy a 99 harness???

Thanks in advance ~ Dice

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yeh you can do it. but isnt 93 obd and 96 onwards obd2 u may need a harness jumper for the P2P ECU

fwdpower

No traction though.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Just get a P28. Your car is OBD1, so you don't have a knock sensor, crank angle sensor, nor a 2nd oxygen sensor. A P2P will give you a BIG check engine light.

FAC3L3SS

Registered VIP
^ That's correct, also, you'll need to wire up the VTEC solenoid and hardwire a knock sensor into your harness as well, or you'll get codes and it wont run right. You'll need a VTEC P2P ECU, VTEC and knock sensor wired up, and you should be about good to go. Y8 head plops right on the D16. There's some other work if you swap over the intake manifold . . .

Dice316

so the best ecu would be P28 aka the orignal 95 ex cuz it will fit the harness and has vtech...and at the same time it will work on the car while i have the y7 and also after i put the y8 block in? cuz the problem the dealer was telling me was mostly that it wont go higher than 3500 rpms...which i didnt notice till they told me that, and they said its cuz of the ecu.

btw thanks again everyone ~Dice