d16y7 turbo or b18a1?

dr2b99civic

indyciv99
5+ Year Member
so i have a dilemma, hopefully u guys can help. i got a guy who wants to sell me his b18a1 for $650. I'm not sure whether it'd be worth it to do the swap or just to turbo my d16y7. I'm not so knowledgeable when it comes to engine swaps so any advice is helpful

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the turbo y7 will make more power.. but it will cost you more to do it right than a straight b18a swap would

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
for a b18a for that cheap. id get it and boost it hahaha. and this is coming from a die hard dseries lover >_<

dr2b99civic

indyciv99
5+ Year Member
for a b18a for that cheap. id get it and boost it hahaha. and this is coming from a die hard dseries lover >_<
yea i know, thats the thing cuz i dont think ill come across another one this cheap. i was leaning towards the D turbo but now im not so sure.

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so i have a dilemma, hopefully u guys can help. i got a guy who wants to sell me his b18a1 for $650. I'm not sure whether it'd be worth it to do the swap or just to turbo my d16y7. I'm not so knowledgeable when it comes to engine swaps so any advice is helpful
i would keep the D16y7

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
b18a1's are eh. try and pick up a b18b1 or a b20 like i did

civicfan111

Fujiwara's Tofu Shop
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
If it's so cheap it might have some sort of problem he hasn't told you about.

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what does the $650 entail? aka what else comes with the motor?

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
b18a1 and b18b1 is all the same besides their one being obd0 and obd1.

id say go check out the engine. do a leak down test and inspect it and if its it good shape. take it and boost it =) you'll love how them LS holds their tq. Imagine when you boost it haha BEAST!

But if your honestly that worried. id stick with the y7 and boost that sucker. Dseries are always cheaper to repair then Bseries. esp their transmissions hahaha.

brecha

b18a1 and b18b1 is all the same besides their one being obd0 and obd1.

id say go check out the engine. do a leak down test and inspect it and if its it good shape. take it and boost it =) you'll love how them LS holds their tq. Imagine when you boost it haha BEAST!

But if your honestly that worried. id stick with the y7 and boost that sucker. Dseries are always cheaper to repair then Bseries. esp their transmissions hahaha.
i agree with you.. if the B18 is in good shape do all the possible test and go for it!!, it's going to be cheaper to buy, but more expensive than the Y7 to repair.. i have a y7 too!

akimm17

5+ Year Member
If you decide to boost D then go y8
vtec will boost your eyebrows right off your face :D

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
what does the $650 entail? aka what else comes with the motor?
Im very surprised that it took 10 posts for someone to say this. If its $650 for just the motor, then its not worth it. If its $650 for a complete swap, yea go for it.

Also OP, if you arent too knowledgeable about this, I think you should do some more research before you do anything. Figure out what you really want from your car, then act.

dr2b99civic

indyciv99
5+ Year Member
decided to go to turbo, friends got one a t3/t4 thats just been sittin around. gotta get one weld fixed and test the turbo then should be good to go

If you decide to boost D then go y8
vtec will boost your eyebrows right off your face :D
yea i was thinking about possibly going with the mini me swap