D16y8 210km into 97 DX: Worth it? New motor mounts needed?

bacic101

D16y8 engine swap

hey guys i got a 97 civic dx with a d16y7 with 190k on it..... i can get a complete d16y8 with the tranny and ecu for 425 dollars! just wondering will i need new engine mounts? is thi s swap gunna be worth it? it has210km on it... i can intsatll everything my self in my shop so no labour costs.. what you guys think?

Last edited:

bacic101

any one know where i can find a diy for the swap or whats all needed involved in it

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
do whole engine. the y7 and y8 block have a few differences but cant name them at the moment. the most important thing youll need is either a ex engine harness, or get the vtec harness to add since your going from a non vtec engine to a vtec engine. also check up on the sensors to see if you need to change anything since the y7 and y8 use different intake manifolds. also youll need the ex throttle body cable. thats all i can think of

brian762

5+ Year Member
why spend all that $ to get 15hp??? if i were you, id save your $425 and put it towards an LS swap.

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
why spend all that $ to get 15hp??? if i were you, id save your $425 and put it towards an LS swap.
thats following the trend of today. be original and build the y8 for boost. plus d series are more torquey

dbramaged

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
thats following the trend of today. be original and build the y8 for boost. plus d series are more torquey
X2 - there's swaps every where. Hard to find a well built Y8. The ones that I have seen produce a great deal of power.

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
acura integra ls motor which is a b18b motor. look at it this way, you pay 1g minimum for an ls swap. but if you pay the 425 for the d16y8 you have 575 to play around with in mods. you could start building up a turbo kit with that much to run 6-8 psi on the stock internals or use that money to rework the engine for a larger turbo. the nice thing about the d series is that theres a suzuki engine that has the same bore size and if you use the pistons from that engine you can get a very low compression ratio so that you can crank up the boost.