D16Y8 Aftermarket Automatic Transmission?

Better Auto Tranny or Manual Swap? Which is Cheaper?

• Better Auto Tranny

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

lubuis

Respected
If I go turbo I can keep up to about 200whp without overheating the stock automatic transmission. I want to go more than that and I need a good auto tranny to hold up. I do not want to do a manual swap, but if it is cheaper than getting a better auto tranny then I will just swap

5SpeedEJ6

Respected
Registered VIP
Why in the world would you want to keep an automatic on a turboed Civic??? Sorry for bluntness but that's the only way I can put it lol

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A turbo on an automatic is a waste of money and a bad enough idea, even more so on a D16y8 engine. But if you insist then your current tranny would be the best option. Keep in mind the ECU would need a heavy tuning. Im pretty sure an auto tranny cant reach 200whp though. Thats if this is even feasible on an auto tranny. Let our experts on the subject chime in. Swapping to manual is the only logical option though.

dancam

Registered VIP
Where did you hear that that trans can handle 200whp? And what are you planning to do with the car? Just use it as a daily and step on the gas harder once or twice a month or use the power regularly? Or (it sounds weird to say this) do you plan to race your automatic civic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stcopley

Trollin in the Deep
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Not sure how serious this post is....but ummm.

-That tranny could not hold that amount of horsepower
-An auto turbo civic? Is there such a thing ever made?
-If you are willing to swap, why even consider the option of keeping an auto? Manuals have always and will always be cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

lubuis

Respected
Where did you hear that that trans can handle 200whp? And what are you planning to do with the car? Just use it as a daily and step on the gas harder once or twice a month or use the power regularly? Or (it sounds weird to say this) do you plan to race your automatic civic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I am planning to go to my local track every summer.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Not worth it, IMO. Swap to manual or find a manual car.

I pieced together my auto to manual swap for ~$6-700 back in 2009. Look around and you can probably find parts much cheaper than that.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Not sure how serious this post is....but ummm.

-That tranny could not hold that amount of horsepower
-An auto turbo civic? Is there such a thing ever made?
-If you are willing to swap, why even consider the option of keeping an auto? Manuals have always and will always be cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
theres few out here but they don't make much hp or they barely ever do pulls on it. you can still do it but your auto trans will hate you for it.