d16y8 head onto d15zc bottom end. Anything I should know?

HotHatchEG707

So i recently bought a 1993 civic hatch. The car was the vx model and came with a d15zc engine, according to honda the motor is pushing a maximum of 90 horsepower and 98 ft lb. its seriously...so slow. The motor has 180k miles on it and still has perfect compression on all cylinders and runs just fine. I am purchasing a d16y8 head from a friend. Its been rebuilt with a stage 2 vtec cam, he used the head on an old turbo project.

So from what I can tell I will need an ECU, since he used a aftermarket programmable ecu originially since the head was part of a turbo setup. But which ECU do I use?
Can I use my stock fuel rail?
Is there anything else I should know? Im assuming its pretty straight forward, bolt on and go.

Thanks guys.

Heres a pic of my car.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

civicmand16y7

Registered VIP
was there a d15zc ever made??? that car came with a d15z1 and the zc is a dohc motor make sure what type of your motor you have frist and let us know so we can help you better

civicmand16y7

Registered VIP
was there a d15zc ever made??? that car came with a d15z1 and the zc is a dohc motor make sure what type of your motor you have frist and let us know so we can help you better

jlicrx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
the 93 VX came with a D15Z1 engine, not a ZC - all ZC engines, DOHC and SOHC are 1.6L - a D16Y8 head on a D15Z1 bottom end with D15Z1 pistons will result in a compression ratio of around 8.0:1 - not going to make much power

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
D15Z1 have too low of a compression to fully benefit from a mini-me setup.

I would recommend a full D16Z6 swap.

HotHatchEG707

ah ok. well for whatever reason my motor is stamped d15zc, no joke lol. I will take a photo. if the compression will be that low then your right i really wont be gaining much power from it at all so definitely not worth my time i guess ill just have to hold on until I can afford a B series swap.

Thanks you guys.