1. New Forum Software:
    We have finally upgraded the forum software due to it being so outdated. If you are having any issues with new forum please let us know. Please post any issues in this thread http://www.clubcivic.com/forum/threads/clubcivic-com-forum-upgrade.227221/

d16y8 head onto d15zc bottom end. Anything I should know?

Discussion in 'Engine Tech / Drivetrain' started by HotHatchEG707, Nov 12, 2010.

Welcome to ClubCivic a Honda Civic Forum

Club Civic is an online Honda Civic forum and community for all Honda Civic enthusiasts. Whether you own a Honda Civic Si, Ex, Type R, Dx, Lx, Cx, Dx, Vx, or even a hybrid you will find valuable information and honda civic car parts on this site. Take a look around to view Honda Civic discussion; including a photo gallery, maintenance information, tech tips, as well as ways to get better performance from your Honda Civic. Visit the Members Ride's to view and rate other member’s Honda Civics. Click here to start viewing the Honda Civic Forums. Before you start posting on this site you will need to register. If you are already registered and not logged in, please login here.

Browse the forums by generation by clicking below or browse all honda civic forums.

1. HotHatchEG707

HotHatchEG707 New Member

So i recently bought a 1993 civic hatch. The car was the vx model and came with a d15zc engine, according to honda the motor is pushing a maximum of 90 horsepower and 98 ft lb. its seriously...so slow. The motor has 180k miles on it and still has perfect compression on all cylinders and runs just fine. I am purchasing a d16y8 head from a friend. Its been rebuilt with a stage 2 vtec cam, he used the head on an old turbo project.

So from what I can tell I will need an ECU, since he used a aftermarket programmable ecu originially since the head was part of a turbo setup. But which ECU do I use?
    Can I use my stock fuel rail?
    Is there anything else I should know? Im assuming its pretty straight forward, bolt on and go.

Thanks guys.

Heres a pic of my car.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. civicmand16y7

civicmand16y7 New Member Registered VIP

was there a d15zc ever made??? that car came with a d15z1 and the zc is a dohc motor make sure what type of your motor you have frist and let us know so we can help you better

3. civicmand16y7

was there a d15zc ever made??? that car came with a d15z1 and the zc is a dohc motor make sure what type of your motor you have frist and let us know so we can help you better

4. jlicrx

jlicrx New Member Registered VIP 5+ Year Member

the 93 VX came with a D15Z1 engine, not a ZC - all ZC engines, DOHC and SOHC are 1.6L - a D16Y8 head on a D15Z1 bottom end with D15Z1 pistons will result in a compression ratio of around 8.0:1 - not going to make much power

5. civicmand16y7

and the z1 motor is a vtec motor anyways it will be a wast of time and money

6. 31dev31

31dev31 Chillin' Canadian Member Registered VIP Registered OG 5+ Year Member

D15Z1 have too low of a compression to fully benefit from a mini-me setup.

I would recommend a full D16Z6 swap.

7. civicmand16y7

why would you do a mini me swap on a motor that has vtec already...just do a motors swap

8. HotHatchEG707

HotHatchEG707 New Member

ah ok. well for whatever reason my motor is stamped d15zc, no joke lol. I will take a photo. if the compression will be that low then your right i really wont be gaining much power from it at all so definitely not worth my time i guess ill just have to hold on until I can afford a B series swap.

Thanks you guys.