D16Y8 head

rsal22

5+ Year Member
I wanna put a D16y8 head on a D15b7 block.
Will it work?
Wat do i need?

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes it will. search for mini-me swap.

rsal22

5+ Year Member
bro ive searched like 10 pages under google under 3 topics and all it talks bout is a z6 head

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
actually for the y8 head on the b7 its alot different, than just slapping it on.
who said anything about just slapping it on? it is still concidered a mini-me swap hence the reason i said to search for "mini-me"

oh and now its time to be a d**k. there is no need to make two threads for the same thing.

rsal22

5+ Year Member
ive done the searching..
but if u wanna be a dik and complain then ma bad

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive done the searching..
but if u wanna be a dik and complain then ma bad
i got nothing against you man just try and keep it one thread for the same thing. its a very common rookie mistake.

and just to be not so much of a d**k this may help.

http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=23455&sid=b5e411c8d5f743dc8713472b7ebf0e63

keep in mind you wont be converting to obd0 like on that site. the reason we all say go with the z6 is because the y8 is obd2 and the z6 is obd1 like your car. its just simpler and no conversion is needed.

rsal22

5+ Year Member
i got nothing against you man just try and keep it one thread for the same thing. its a very common rookie mistake.

and just to be not so much of a d**k this may help.

http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=23455&sid=b5e411c8d5f743dc8713472b7ebf0e63

keep in mind you wont be converting to obd0 like on that site. the reason we all say go with the z6 is because the y8 is obd2 and the z6 is obd1 like your car. its just simpler and no conversion is needed.

Haha ya that was ma bad bro

an thanx, i appreciate the extra help.

(noob quesion) but wat does a z6 head come off of? cant seem to figure it out.

wat would b the diff in power cuz either way i wanna build the head and cam it out so i can run my usual 10 pounds of boost?

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its from a d16z6. the 92-95 si/ex motor. the y8 should yeild a slightly higher comp ratio but there are many ways to manipulate that. like head gasket thickness, and pistions. you shouldnt have any problem with 10lbs but most people run 8 or so.

rsal22

5+ Year Member
ok koo.. ur actually startin to change ma mind to a z6 jus cuz of the harness
would a y8 intake manifold be good to swap it with? heard it has better flow

ya ive actually read that i could use a y8 head gasket to achieve higher compression,
but ive read fall baks on it when it comes to the cam too cuz of the spacing.

an runnin 8 sounds suky (no hard feelings) ive actually wanted to increase to like 12 or 13.

i do have the bottom end built an bored .20 over and runnin hondata s300

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes the y8 mani supposedly flows much better. i havent tried it yet. as for the boost. if your built then you should be fine but your also going to want to build your top end if you start increasing it like that. oh and dont forget to get it retuned as well. and when you boost you usually want lower compression

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Ideally, a motor with higher static compression ratio and lower boost will make more torque. It will also, however, be detonation prone at lower boost and fuel octane levels so you have to be more careful when tuning it. There's another thing that gets overlooked however, which is cylinder volume. When you have a higher compression engine, it has less cylinder volume at TDC, so the drop in pressure as the piston descends is greater. Some people argue that this results in lower torque. I can see why, but some cylinder pressure data versus crankshaft angle would be very interesting to compare two setups.

On the other hand, running a lower compression ratio and higher boost has its drawbacks. Your intercooler efficiency becomes more important the more you compress air. Your exhaust gas backpressure could go up. But then again, these are partially system design issues - most of the time you don't have two optimized setups to compare.

So in the end, most people go the lower compression route because its easier to tune and for that reason safer.

rsal22

5+ Year Member
would the y8 manifold bolt right up?
oh ya i plan on buildin top end an throwin a crower turbo cam into it
and for sure its gettin re-tuned this time dyno too, cuz ma last tune which was a street tune leaned out : /

personally how would u go?
complete z6 head?
complete y8 head? or
z6 head with y8 intake manifold?

rsal22

5+ Year Member
oh ya i guess ill keep the compression as low as i can but im sure its still gonna be lik 10:1 or somethin right?

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i would do a z6 with a y8 mani.. not sure what your compression ratio would be just because its all going to depend on your setup. the stock d16z6 is 9.2:1 and the stock d16y8 is 9.6:1. thing is you have a b7 that is bored .20 over so thats going to change everything. then depending on which gasket you get will change that again. and the pistons your using will change that once again. so its pretty hard to say just what youll get.

rsal22

5+ Year Member
ya that setup sounds pretty promising..

but ya that compression problem sounds pretty bad,
im guessin i can talk to some mechanics and se wat they say.

one thing i kno is when the car was rebuilt it was 8:1 compression so i wonder how much it would change from there?