d16y8 in a 95 cx

jwark601

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey im lookin at getting a cheap d16y8 from a friend and i want to put it in my 95 civic cx hatch. What am i going to need other than the engine and tranny? I know i need a five wire o2 sensor and a vtec computer, is there anything else?

asanti76

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes... the y8 is OBDII and your car is OBI...

some of the wiring has to be changed i believe...
cant you just get the z6?
thats a plug and play

jwark601

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i could probly get a z6 for a little more, but a friend is selling his y8 out of a 98 Ex for about $500 for the engine and tranny. if i can find a wiring diagram or an obd-II to obd-I conversion kit is it a bolt in swap?

Je

the white hatch
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
d16z6 much easier, great motor too. Just to give you another option

D92CIVIC

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I just got the d16z6 everything is pefect plug and play. Through my research its better then the y8. I got my z6 with 30,000 on it for $700/w computer and harness.

soberstan

Mean Green Drivin Machine
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
wer can you find a d16z6....i look everywer....i even called nipon motors and they sed they dunt got none in stock

jro985

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Hey i already have a d16y8 in my 92 hatch if anyone has a wiring diagram or a site that has it that would be great.

krazykoncept

K Den Kuz C U Laterz
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
swap

Why don't you use a Z6 harness and computer. If If you have the Y8 harness just cut the plugs and switch with the Z6 harness. I'm kinda doing the same Z6 bottom with Y8 head for m 92CX. Using the injectors from the Y8 and using a Dx distbutor. And you can use a 4 wire 02

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dude i'm telling you, this swap is worthless for the most part.....BUT if you insist, convert the motor to obd1 instead of converting the car to obd2, its alot easier if you have access to the parts such as the intake mani,fuel rail,injectors,etc and alternator and dizzy, thats the biggest part of it.....

weirdvein

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
h23vtecturbohatch said:
dude i'm telling you, this swap is worthless for the most part.....BUT if you insist, convert the motor to obd1 instead of converting the car to obd2, its alot easier if you have access to the parts such as the intake mani,fuel rail,injectors,etc and alternator and dizzy, thats the biggest part of it.....
What is the purpose of converting a D16y8 to OBD1 from OBD2? What HP gain you will get if it is not chipped or tuned?

stealthy

4 Doors For More Whores
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
weirdvein said:
What is the purpose of converting a D16y8 to OBD1 from OBD2? What HP gain you will get if it is not chipped or tuned?
lets review:
d16y8 is obd2
your car is obd2
his car is obd1

now,you wouldnt need to convert, but he does.get it?it has nothing to do with hp gain,it has to do with converting so it will run.

weirdvein

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
h23vtecturbohatch said:
lets review:
d16y8 is obd2
your car is obd2
his car is obd1

now,you wouldnt need to convert, but he does.get it?it has nothing to do with hp gain,it has to do with converting so it will run.
I get the OBD part. So, I can use my existing p2p ecu and get it tuned by hondata and will have the same output as with the p28 ecu tuned by hondata. Regardless, both ecu is the same when installed on a D16y8 motor? virgin or chipped?