d16y8 in dx

boostaddict98

ok so before everyone says there is already info out there on this i just was wondering if anyone knew exactly what i need to swap a d16y8 into my 1998 civic dx.

now im assuming i should buy a d16y8 out of a 96-98 that way its obd2a. but im also building the motor for boost prior to swaping it...im doing forged internals/intake manifold/throttle body ect but leaving the head stock until winter.

i have a general idea that i need the obd2a y8 computer,wire harness,and motor..am i forgetting anything and is there any wiring or other mods that will need to be done?

i have also thought about a z6 swap because i heard they have a really good oiling system but yet again i dont want to have to swap to obd1 and have a problem come inspection time when they want me to plug the car in...

i just want to know what ill need to make sure it stays obd2 so when i get it inspected i wont have any problems..thanks

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The ex exhaust manifold and exhaust system that matches the ex exhaust manifold

boostaddict98

well because im boosting it the ramhorns and down pipe will void all that out. and everything i have listed like the computer and such is all i need for the swap to just bolt right in correct?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah you got everything else down.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks. Post up your ride when you get that boost setup together.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if your building the bottom end with new internals you might need to have your ecu chipped which means you'd need a p28 and also means you'll need to get a conversion harness (all of which you'd need when it comes time to boost anyway)

CodeName_EJ6

ASE Certified Mechanic
if u live in NY, Why worry about insp....
Your motor wont last a year untuned on a obd2 ecu. if you planing on making real power with that turbo itherway your gonna have to stepdown to obd1. even if u stay obd2 and it does last the ecu is going to throw codes anyway bc your ecu is not capable of seeing that much air pressure which still leaves u failling insp. Go OBD1, chip the ecu, get a tune and have and 100 dollars in hand for insp...

boostaddict98

if u live in NY, Why worry about insp....
Your motor wont last a year untuned on a obd2 ecu. if you planing on making real power with that turbo itherway your gonna have to stepdown to obd1. even if u stay obd2 and it does last the ecu is going to throw codes anyway bc your ecu is not capable of seeing that much air pressure which still leaves u failling insp. Go OBD1, chip the ecu, get a tune and have and 100 dollars in hand for insp...
yeah i hear yah. i was going to have it tuned but i have been reading alot and kinda decided not to really even do the swap or boost it. im just going to clean it up nice and when im done with school in 2 months and hopefully go k over the summer. everyone where i live has boosted civics and integras but no one has a k swapped ek.

CodeName_EJ6

ASE Certified Mechanic
yeah i hear yah. i was going to have it tuned but i have been reading alot and kinda decided not to really even do the swap or boost it. im just going to clean it up nice and when im done with school in 2 months and hopefully go k over the summer. everyone where i live has boosted civics and integras but no one has a k swapped ek.
Good Plan....