D16Y8 owners! Do you have any problems?

apekd

-----Distracted you, huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Im picking a D16Y8 for 100 bucks, needs bearings. Crank has no damage (from what I can see). aside from the fact that those bearings like to go out fast, what other problems do you guys have with them? Its going in my 89 ED6, gonna be runnning off a chipped P28. Like i said though, any other problems you guys find?

(dont tell me to go to b series, I like my engines like i like boobies, D's please!)

the bearings only like to go out when you run them without oil i would check everything else that could go wrong from running it without oil but there good motors for the most part

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what the mileage if the bearings have gone?
can you not get the standard ECU chipped?
is this OBD2?

i own a D16Y8 i think its not so bad for what it is compared to otehr 1.6's on the street.

kaylor99

5+ Year Member
Im picking a D16Y8 for 100 bucks, needs bearings. Crank has no damage (from what I can see). aside from the fact that those bearings like to go out fast, what other problems do you guys have with them? Its going in my 89 ED6, gonna be runnning off a chipped P28. Like i said though, any other problems you guys find?

(dont tell me to go to b series, I like my engines like i like boobies, D's please!)
The rods are weak. They can only hold up to about 6 psi of boost. If you decide to boost it I would just get some forged rods.

MidnightCivicEX

EK Ferio WIP
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i've got a stock p2p for sale right now... if you're interested...

check the head too... make sure the valvetrain isnt damaged from lack of oil as well

xxsenceo89x

aka superman
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The rods are weak. They can only hold up to about 6 psi of boost. If you decide to boost it I would just get some forged rods.
:roll: PSI is just a number. Its all about flow. 6psi out of a straw is not the same as 6psi out of a 2inch pipe.

The SOHC Y series motors suck with oiling. They only have one oiling hole on the crank with a pump that puts out 30% less oil than the d16Z6. Its common to have bearings wear out quicker and spin. You can port and shim the oil pump and enlarge the bearing holes to get rid of this problem. Ive got 9k on my built y7 bottom end. 270hp and 245tq to the wheels :cool: Its not impossible, its just more of a challenge.

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:roll: PSI is just a number. Its all about flow. 6psi out of a straw is not the same as 6psi out of a 2inch pipe.

The SOHC Y series motors suck with oiling. They only have one oiling hole on the crank with a pump that puts out 30% less oil than the d16Z6. Its common to have bearings wear out quicker and spin. You can port and shim the oil pump and enlarge the bearing holes to get rid of this problem. Ive got 9k on my built y7 bottom end. 270hp and 245tq to the wheels :cool: Its not impossible, its just more of a challenge.
Is there any way to put a Z6 oil pump on it? If so then I have 2 of them laying around if it is possible. Im not looking for power, im getting it to make it a daily driver, and the only mods it will have it the intake. OEM exhaust form the header all the way back really.

Boost? Sorry, my ears are clogged, I hear boost and theyshut off. Dont like boost, never will.

what the mileage if the bearings have gone?
can you not get the standard ECU chipped?
is this OBD2?

i own a D16Y8 i think its not so bad for what it is compared to otehr 1.6's on the street.
Its going into a 89 ED6 hatch (meaning its going to be OBD0 before I get it to OBD1) I wont run OBD2 as its a PITA to work with and to tune.

apekd

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
bump

still wanna know if a Z6 oil pump can replace the Y8 one