d16y8 problems

slod16

5+ Year Member
wen i first get in my car in drive it has pretty good acceleration after about 20 mins the acceleration blows 2nd in 3rd gear is really bad any explenations to what causes this so i can fix it the spark plugs in wires are not even a year old

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Hi, mine is the same runs mint when its cold. then it hits running temp and the acceleration becomes sluggish when changing second to third. some one told me to but a resistor in the air flow sensor so it will over fuel. my car got 130k on the clock and does still pick up well when your up in the revs just not so much at the bottom end.

XtremEK

5+ Year Member
try changing the fuel filter. My car started doing something similar to that, change the fuel filter and see if that helps. If it doesnt help it wont hurt anything, just something else you dont have to change later

RonJ

Banned
Is the CEL on?

Inspect the distributor cap and rotor and check the ignition timing.

HARMON

N/A RACING
5+ Year Member
x2 on the fuel filter. it's always what you least expect the problem to be

slod16

5+ Year Member
i changed the fuel filter it seemed to make a lil smoother but theres still hesitation after its been running for a while funny you say turn the ac off for some reason theres always air coming through my vent even wen its off in i can control if its hot or cold maybe this has sometheing to do with it?

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
When you say "acceleration blows", do you mean it's just slow? Or it sputters? If it sputters, sounds like you could use a tune-up. Check your o2 sensors, dizzy cap / rotor, etc. If it's just slow, it's because you have a d16y8. They are slow as s**t. Even worse with A/C on.

slod16

5+ Year Member
no at first accelerations actually really good then after awhile like going 2nd to 3rd gear it will like go the kinda cut out then when it hits like 3500 it just kinda launches weird imma change the plugs today

Esotericimage

Taking an H-T break
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
a video of what your describing will be a great help to us and yourself for us to help you.

HARMON

N/A RACING
5+ Year Member
easy fix

ok, my dad has the same prob with his truck. simple as this. change the O2 sensors. just do it and then let us know how it worked. bc i bet you it'll fix it

_Ben_W

5+ Year Member
Change your distributor cap, rotor button, plugs, wires, and fuel filter. Also try a fuel injector cleaner.

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i jst got my rotor arm and dizzy cap today :D will get it fitted when do my timing belt and water pump. gonna get some plugs on order with some performance HT leads, so i will have a fresh ignition system. for injector cleaner i use fortron. just run one in about every six months when it gets serviced.

airzi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
anybody know what plugs are best? i currently got BOCSH SUPER 4's